CXXXII. DETENTION

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

Dinner in the Great Hall that night was not a pleasant experience for Mia. The news about her shouting match with Umbridge seemed to have travelled exceptionally fast even by Hogwarts standards. She heard whispers all around her as she sat eating next to Hermione. The funny thing was that none of the whisperers seemed to mind her overhearing what they were saying about him. On the contrary, it was as though they were hoping she would get angry and start shouting again so that they could hear her story firsthand. 

"She says she saw Cedric Diggory murdered. . . ." 

"She reckons she duelled with You-Know-Who. . . ." 

"Come off it. . . ." 

"She's nothing more than a druggie. . . ."

"Who does she think she's kidding?" 

"Pur-lease . . ." 

Mia looked down at her untouched food and sighed.

"See you later," she said weakly, grabbing her bag and getting up from the Gryffindor table. People stared at her all the way out of the Hall. 

Rain pounded on the windowpanes as she strode along the empty corridors back to Gryffindor Tower. Mia felt as though her first day had lasted a week, but she still had detention in an hour. A dull pounding pain was developing over her right eye. She glanced out of a rain-washed window at the dark grounds as she turned into the Fat Lady's corridor. There was still no light in Hagrid's cabin. 

"Mimbulus mimbletonia," said Mia, before the Fat Lady could ask. 

The portrait swung open to reveal the hole behind and the young girl scrambled back through it.The common room was almost empty; nearly everyone was still down at dinner. Prongs flew down to Mia and landed on the armchair Mia sat herself in and rubbed his soft head against her arm. She smiled lightly as she kissed her owl's soft head and sighed. She gazed into the flames, feeling drained and exhausted. She checked her watch and groaned when she stood up and set off for Umbridge's office on the third floor. 

When she knocked on the door she heard, "Come in," in a sugary voice. 

She entered cautiously, looking around. She had known this office under three of its previous occupants. In the days when Gilderoy Lockhart had lived here, it had been plastered in beaming portraits of its owner. When Lupin had occupied it, it was likely you would meet some fascinating Dark creature in a cage or tank if you came to call. In the impostor Moody's days it had been packed with various instruments and artefacts for the detection of wrongdoing and concealment.

Now, however, it looked totally unrecognisable. 

The surfaces had all been draped in lacy covers and cloths. There were several vases full of dried flowers, each residing on its own doily, and on one of the walls was a collection of ornamental plates, each decorated with a large technicolor kitten wearing a different bow around its neck. These were so foul that Mia stared at them, transfixed, until Professor Umbridge spoke again.