IX. THE SORTING HAT

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

"How many bloody stairs are there?" Mia sighed as she and the other first years climbed up the staircase, but at the top of the staircase was a woman that made all the first years gather around. Professor McGonagall was standing there. 

A tall, black-haired witch in emerald-green robes stood there, she had a very stern face and Mia's first thought was that this was not someone to cross.

The entrance hall was so big you could have fit the whole of the Dursleys' house in it. The stone walls were lit with flaming torches like the ones at Gringotts, the ceiling was too high to make out, and a magnificent marble staircase facing them led to the upper floors. Mia could hear the drone of hundreds of voices from a doorway to the right, the rest of the school must already be here.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," said Professor McGonagall, "now, in a few moments, you will pass through these doors and join your classmates. But before you can take your seats, you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Now while you're here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you house points. Any rule breaking, and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup."

"Trevor!"

Neville, the boy Mia and Harry passed on the station, had lept forward and grabbed his toad that was sitting by Professor McGonagall's feet. As Neville grabbed his toad, he looked up as Professor McGonagall stared him down. 

"Sorry," he said, backing away embarrassed as some other students laughed. 

"The sorting ceremony will begin momentarily," Professor McGonagall said before leaving. Once she was gone, a boy spoke up

"So it's true then, what they're saying on the train." 

Mia and everyone else turned around and saw a blonde boy with blue-grey eyes and a pale face looking at her. She couldn't lie, she did think he was cute.

"Mia and Harry Potter have come to Hogwarts."

Mia glanced around her as people began whispering her and Harry's name.

"This is Crabbe and Goyle," the boy said, nodding to his two friends. Both of them were thickset and looked extremely mean. Standing on either side of the pale boy, they looked like bodyguards. 

The blonde boy kicked himself off the wall and walked towards Mia and Harry, standing on a few steps in front of Mia, making the ginger girl look at him. 

"And I'm Malfoy. . . . Draco Malfoy." 

Mia sent him a smile as Ron let out a little snort at his name and Draco turned to him with hatred in his eyes. 

"Think my name's funny, do you?" he spat as Ron's face fell slightly and Mia's jaw clenched. "No need to ask yours. Red hair, and a hand-me-down robe? You must be a Weasley. Well, soon find that some wizarding families are better than others, Potter."