CXXXIII. THESTRALS

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

"I'm not asking you to write all of it for me."

A few weeks later, Mia was sitting in the common room with her brother as Ron and Hermione walked over to them and sat on the large, squishy sofa behind them. The pills were having a good effect on the ginger girl. The first week, the young girl was bedridden, sweating profusely with the shakes and vomiting, but after that, she seemed to be recovering. The only symptoms she had were vomiting now and then with headaches that were easily fixable. She was slowly to look and act like herself. 

"I've been busy studying for these stupid OWL exams," Ron went on, trying to convince the older girl to help him. 

"I'll do the introduction," Hermione said, giving in as Mia chuckled, "that's all."

"Hermione, you're honestly the most wonderful person I've ever met," Ron said as Mia smiled at them as she carried on reading her book. "And if I'm ever rude to you again. . . ."

"I'll know you've gone back to normal," Hermione said chuckling as she looked down at Mia and saw something red on her hand. She furrowed her eyebrows as she looked at the ginger girl.

"What's wrong with your hand?"

Mia looked at her and then down at her right hand.

"Nothing," she said shrugging.

"The other hand," Hermione said, lifting the sleeve of Mia's striped top. A look of horror came on her face when she saw the red, scarring skin on Mia's hand. "You've got to tell Dumbledore."

"No," Mia said bluntly as Harry and Ron looked at Mia and looked revolted. "I don't want to give Umbridge the satisfaction."

"Bloody hell, Mia," Ron said as the young girl looked at him. "McGonagall will help you, she seems to love you. The woman's torturing you. If the parents and Professors both knew about this. . . ."

"And how long d'you reckon it'd take Umbridge to get the Ministry involved and say that whoever complains about her gets sacked immediately?" Mia asked, looking at Ron with a raised eyebrow. 

Ron opened his mouth to retort but nothing came out and after a moment he closed it again in a defeated sort of way.

"Mia, you've got to report this," Hermione said as Mia looked at her. "It's perfectly simple. You're being. . . ."

"No, it's not," Mia said, looking at her friend. "Hermione, whatever this is, it's not simple. You don't understand."

"Then help us to," she said as Mia sighed. 

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

The next morning found Mia making her way down to Hagrid's. There was no light on as Mia walked to the front door. she sighed sadly and turned towards the forest where she saw one of the large, black horses flying down. Curious, the ginger girl walked into the first and towards where a large crowd of them were, along with Luna.