LX. THE KNIGHT BUS

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

Mia and Harry were several streets away before he collapsed onto a low wall in Magnolia Crescent, panting from the effort of dragging their trunks. Mia sat quite still, anger still surging through her, listening to the frantic thumping of her heart.

But after ten minutes alone in the dark street, a new emotion overtook her: panic. Whichever way she looked at it, she had never been in a worse fix. She was stranded, quite alone, in the dark Muggle world, with absolutely nowhere to go. And the worst of it was, she had just done serious magic, which meant that hse was almost certainly expelled from Hogwarts. She had broken the Decree for the Restriction of Underage Wizardry so badly, she was surprised Ministry of Magic representatives weren't swooping down on her and Harry where they sat.

Harry shivered and looked up and down Magnolia Crescent as Mia looked at him.

"We didn't think this through," Mia said, looking around, "did we?"

"Not really," Harry said.

A funny prickling on the back of her neck had made Mia feel she was being watched, but the street appeared to be deserted, and no lights shone from any of the large square houses.

Harry bent over his trunk again, but almost immediately stood up with Mia once more. Harry's hand clenched on his wand as Mia's eyes glowed red. Mia had sensed rather than heard it. Someone or something was standing in the narrow gap between the garage and the fence behind them. Mia squinted at the black alleyway. If only it would move, then she'd know whether it was just a stray cat or, something else.

Mia conjured an energy ball and a bright red light appeared in her pale hand, almost dazzling her. She flicked her fingers towards the black alleyway and the pebble-dashed walls of number two suddenly sparkled, he garage door gleamed, and between them Mia saw, quite distinctly, the hulking outline of something very big, with wide, gleaming eyes.

Mia and Harry stepped backward. Harry's legs hit his trunk and he tripped, dragging Mia down with him. His wand flew out of his hand as he flung out an arm to break his fall, and he landed, hard, in the gutter.

"Oh fuck," Mia groaned, sporting a bloody nose as she rolled onto her back and gasped for air. There was a deafening BANG, and Mia threw up her hands to shield her eyes against a sudden blinding light. . .

With a yell, Harry rolled back onto the pavement, pulling his sister with him, just in time. A second later, a gigantic pair of wheels and headlights screeched to a halt exactly where Mia and Harry had just been lying. They belonged, as Mia saw when she raised her head, to a triple-decker, violently purple bus, which had appeared out of thin air. Gold lettering over the windshield spelled The Knight Bus.

For a split second, Mia wondered if she had been knocked silly by her fall. Then a conductor in a purple uniform leapt out of the bus and began to speak loudly to the night.