LXXXVII. GOODBYE FOR NOW

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

"Hello Mia."

Lupin's office door was open. He had already packed most of his things. The Grindylow's empty tank stood next to his battered old suitcase, which was open and nearly full. Lupin was bending over something on his desk and looked up only when Mia walked to the door.

"I saw you coming," said Lupin, smiling. He pointed to the parchment he had been poring over. It was the Marauder's Map.

"Are you going somewhere?" Mia asked, eyebrow raised as Lupin started opening his desk drawers and taking out the contents.

"I resigned," he said as Mia furrowed her eyebrows. 

"Why?" she asked.

"The Ministry of Magic don't think you were helping Sirius, do they?" Lupin crossed to the door and closed it behind Harry.

"No. Professor Dumbledore managed to convince Fudge that I was trying to save your lives." He sighed. "That was the final straw for Severus. I think the loss of the Order of Merlin hit him hard. So he er, accidentally let slip that I am a werewolf this morning at breakfast."

"You're not leaving just because of that!" said Mia.

Lupin smiled wryly.

"This time tomorrow, the owls will start arriving from parents. They will not want a werewolf teaching their children, Mia. And after last night, I see their point. I could have bitten any of you. That must never happen again."

"You're the best Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher we've ever had!" said Mia. "Don't go!"

Lupin shook his head and didn't speak. He carried on emptying his drawers. Then, while Harry was trying to think of a good argument to make him stay, Lupin said, "From what the headmaster told me this morning, you saved a lot of lives last night, Mia. If I'm proud of anything I've done this year, it's how much you've learned. Tell me about your Patronus."

"How d'you know about that?" said Mia, distracted.

"What else could have driven the Dementors back?"

Mia told Lupin what had happened. When she'd finished, Lupin was smiling again.

"Yes, your father was always a stag when he transformed," he said. "You guessed right. . . that's why we called him Prongs."

Lupin threw his last few books into his case, closed the desk drawers, and turned to look at Mia.

"Here," he said holding out the Marauder's Map too. "I am no longer your teacher, so I don't feel guilty about giving you back this as well. It's no use to me, and I daresay you, Harry, Ron, and Hermione will find uses for it."

Mia took the map and grinned.

"I have no hesitation in saying that James would have been highly disappointed if his children had never found any of the secret passages out of the castle." He picked up his old suitcase. "So now I'll say goodbye, Mia. I feel sure we'll meet again sometime. Until then," he got his wand out and pointed it at the map Mia was holding. "Mischief managed."