CXXXI. PROFESSOR UMBRIDGE

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

When lunch was over, everyone entered the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom they found Professor Umbridge already seated at the teacher's desk, wearing the fluffy pink cardigan of the night before and the black velvet bow on top of her head. Mia was again reminded forcibly of a large fly perched unwisely on top of an even larger toad. The class was quiet as it entered the room; Professor Umbridge was, as yet, an unknown quantity and nobody knew yet how strict disciplinarian she was likely to be.

"Good morning, children."

Mia sat down next to her brother in the new DADA room. Professor Umbridge was wearing the fluffy pink cardigan of the night before and the black velvet bow on her head. Mia was sitting to the left of Draco, and she felt his ice-blue eyes on her. She had taken one pill already, and was started to feel the effects of it.

"Wands away and quills out, please." 

Many of the class exchanged gloomy looks; the order "wands away" had never yet been followed by a lesson they had found interesting. Mia shoved her wand back inside her bag and pulled out quill, ink, and parchment. Professor Umbridge opened her handbag, extracted her own wand, which was an unusually short one, and tapped the blackboard sharply with it. Words appeared on the board at once: 

Defence Against the Dark Arts: A Return to Basic Principles. 

"Well now, your teaching in this subject has been rather disrupted and fragmented, hasn't it?" stated Professor Umbridge, turning to face the class with her hands clasped neatly in front of her. 

Mia raised an eyebrow as she looked at Umbridge. 

"The constant changing of teachers, many of whom do not seem to have followed any Ministry-approved curriculum, has unfortunately resulted in your being far below the standard we would expect to see in yourO.W.L. year."You will be pleased to know, however, that these problems are now to be rectified. We will be following a carefully structured, theory-centered, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic this year. Copy down the following, please." 

She waved her wand and books flew from the side and made a loud thump when they hit the desk. Mia looked down at it and furrowed her eyebrows. 

"Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven. But you'll be pleased to know, from now on, you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry-approved, course of defensive magic. Yes?"

Mia looked down at the book and saw to her left that Hermione was flicking through it already. 

"There's nothing in here about using defensive spells?" Hermione asked as Umbridge looked at her. 

"Using spells?" Umbridge asked, almost shocked that using spells was an option. "Well, I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom."