XCVIII. A WORD OF COMFORT

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

On the night of the 22nd, Mia was sitting in the common room alone. She looked back into the flames and jumped. Lupin's head was sitting in the fire. Instead, her face breaking into the first smile she had worn for days, she scrambled out of her chair, crouched down by the hearth, and said, 

"Mooney, hey," she said.

"I don't have much time Mia, so let me get straight to it," Lupin said as Mia nodded, "did you or did you not put your name into the Goblet of Fire?"

"I didn't," she said as Lupin nodded. He looked at the young girl, eyes full of concern.

"I had to ask," he said as she nodded. "Now, tell me about this dream of yours. You mentioned Wormtail and Voldemort, but who was the third man in the room?"

"I don't know," she admitted, "I didn't hear a name. But Voldemort was giving him a job to do. Something important."

"What was it?" he asked.

"He wanted me and Harry," she said, "I don't why, but he was gonna use this man to get to me. I mean it was only a dream right?"

"Yes. It's just a dream, but stay aware okay?" he asked as she nodded. "Look Mia, the Death Eaters at the world cup, your name rising from that Goblet, these are not just coincidences. Hogwarts isn't safe any more."

"What?" Mia asked.

"I'm saying the devils are inside the walls," Lupin said, "Igor Karkaroff, he was a Death Eater. And no one, no one stops being a Death Eater. Then there's Barty Crouch, heart of stone, sent his own son to Azkaban."

"Do you think one of them put my name in the Goblet?" Mia asked as Lupin sighed.

"I haven't a clue who put your name in that Goblet Mia, but whoever did it is no friend to you. People die in this tournament."

"I don't want to do this," Mia said, shaking her head. 

"You don't have a choice," Lupin said, "but you can do it." Mia held up a hand to silence him, her heart suddenly pounding as though it would burst. She could hear footsteps coming down the spiral staircase behind him.

"Someone's coming," she whispered.

"Keep your friends close Mia," Lupin said, "stay sharp." 

Mia scrambled to his feet, hiding the fire. She heard a tiny pop! in the fire behind her and knew Remus had gone. She watched the bottom of the spiral staircase. Who had decided to go for a stroll at one o'clock in the morning?

It was Ron. 

Dressed in his maroon paisley pyjamas, Ron stopped dead facing Mia across the room, and looked around.

"Who you talking to?" he asked.

"Who says I was talking to anyone?" Mia asked, raising an eyebrow as she stared at Ron.