LXVII. EYES LIKE THE DEVIL HE'S GOT

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

"Remember, these visits to Hogsmeade village are a privilege."

It was the end of October and everyone was handing in their permission slips to Filch in the courtyard. Filch, the caretaker, was standing inside the front doors, checking off names against a long list, peering suspiciously into every face, and making sure that no one was sneaking out who shouldn't be going.

"Should your behaviour reflect poorly on the school," Professor McGonagall carried on, "that privilege shall not be extended again."

The twins hurried towards McGonagall, their empty permission slips in their hand, and it was as if she knew what to say. 

"No permission form signed, no visiting the village," she said as the twins looked at her, "that's the rule, Potters."

"Those with permission, follow me," Filch said with a look at the twins, "those without, stay put."

"Professor," Mia said, "we thought if you signed it, then we could go?"

"I can't," she said as the twins look defeated, "only a parent or a guardian can sign. Since I am neither, it would be inappropriate." She sent the twins a sympathetic look. "I'm sorry, Potters. That's my final word."

"Forget about it, guys," Harry said as Hermione and Ron waited for them. 

"We'll bring you lots of sweets back from Honeydukes," said Hermione, looking desperately sorry for them.

"Yeah, loads," said Ron. 

"Don't worry about us," said Mia, in what she hoped was at, offhand voice, "we'll see you at the feast. Have a good time."

Once they had left, the twins made their solitary way up the marble staircase, through the deserted corridors where they ran into Professor Lupin. 

"What are you doing?" said Lupin, though in a very different voice from the tone Filch uses. "Where are Ron and Hermione?"

"Hogsmeade," said Harry, in a would-be casual voice.

"Ah," said Lupin. He considered the twins for a moment. "Come join me for a walk." The twins looked at each other and nodded. They made their way out of Hogwarts and towards the Bridge. 

"Professor, can I ask you something?" Mia asked as they walked across the bridge. 

"You want to know why I stopped you facing that boggart, yes?" he asked as Mia nodded. "I thought it'd be obvious. I assumed it would take the shape of Lord Voldemort." 

Mia and Harry stared. Lupin had said Voldemort's name. The only person Mia and Harry had ever heard say the name aloud (apart from themselves) was Professor Dumbledore.

"I did think of Voldemort at first," she admitted, "but then I remembered that night on the train, and the dementor."

"I'm very impressed," Lupin said as Mia looked at him confused. He smiled slightly at the look of surprise on Mia's face. "That suggests what you fear the most is fear itself. This is very wise."