CII. THE YULE BALL

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

"Mia, are you alright in there?"

It was quarter to eight on Christmas Day and Hermione was knocking on the bathroom door where Mia was hiding.

"Yeah, I'm okay," she called, "I just look really stupid so I'm hiding."

"You don't look stupid," Hermione said, "but I'll let you come out alone. I'll see you downstairs."

"See you!" Mia yelled as she sighed.

She heard Hermione leave the dorm and she peered her head out and saw nobody was there. She walked towards the mirror and groaned. She was wearing a beautiful gown. It was a strapless neckline with cutouts along both sides of her torso which led to an embellished panel around the waist. From there on, the gown featured a ruffled skirt with flowing length in pastel powder blue. Mia had a pair of black heels on, making her a few inches taller with her long hair left down and curled as she had mascara with shimmery powder blue eyeshadow, nude lipstick and highlighter. She groaned as she looked at herself in the mirror.

"Now or never," she said as she sprayed her floral perfume and made her way downstairs. The common room looked strange, full of people wearing different colours instead of the usual mass of black.

"Mia!"

Mia turned around and smiled when she saw Harry, Ron, Seamus, Dean, and Neville walking down to her. All five boys were looking at her in shock as she smiled.

"Hey," she said smiling.

There was just no getting around the fact that Ron's robes looked more like a dress than anything else. In a desperate attempt to make them look more manly, he used a Severing Charm on the ruff and cuffs. It worked fairly well. At least he was now lace-free, although he hadn't done a very neat job, and the edges still looked depressingly frayed.

"I hate this," Mia said, "I want to be wearing jeans."

"Don't we all?" Seamus asked as Mia chuckled.

"You look really pretty Mia," Neville said as Mia smiled.

"Thanks Nev," she said smiling. "I better get going, I'll see you guys later," she said before picking up the bottom of her dress and walking out of the common room and down towards the entrance hall.

The entrance hall was packed with students too, all milling around waiting for eight o'clock, when the doors to the Great Hall would be thrown open. Those people who were meeting partners from different Houses were edging through the crowd trying to find one another.

Mia walked towards the doors, every head turning into her direction and the boys looking at her in awe while all the girls were looking at her in jealously as she approached her date who when he looked at Mia, his face dropped and his eyes went wide.