XXVIII. THE BURROW

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

A faint pinkish glow was visible along the horizon to the east. Fred brought the car lower, and Mia saw a dark patchwork of fields and clumps of trees. 

"We're a little way outside the village," said George. "Ottery St. Catchpole." 

Lower and lower went the flying car. The edge of a brilliant red sun was now gleaming through the trees. 

"Touchdown!" said Fred as, with a slight bump, they hit the ground. 

They had landed next to a tumbledown garage in a small yard, and Mia looked out for the first time at Ron's house. It looked as though it had once been a large stone pigpen, but extra rooms had been added here and there until it was several stories high and so crooked it looked as though it were held up by magic (which Mia reminded herself, it probably was). Four or five chimneys were perched on top of the red roof. A lopsided sign stuck in the ground near the entrance read, THE BURROW.

Around the front door lay a jumble of rubber boots and a very rusty cauldron. Several fat brown chickens were pecking their way around the yard. 

They got out of the car. 

"Come on," Fred whispered to the others as they made their way towards the house, "okay, come on. Shhh! Shhh!" He checked that the coast was clear before walking inside with the others following. "Okay, come on."

The kitchen was small and rather cramped. There was a scrubbed wooden table and chairs in the middle, and Mia looked around. She had never been in a wizard house before. The clock on the wall opposite her had only one hand and no numbers at all. Written around the edge were things like 'Time to make tea', 'Time to feed the chickens', and 'You're late'

Books were stacked three deep on the mantelpiece, books with titles likeCharm Your Own Cheese, Enchantment in Baking, and One Minute Feasts — It's Magic! And unless Mia's ears were deceiving her, the old radio next to the sink had just announced that coming up was "Witching Hour, with the popular singing sorceress, Celestina Warbeck."

"Do you think it'd be all right if we had some of this?" Ron whispered as he grabbed a biscuit of the kitchen table. 

"Yeah, Mum would never know," George said as he and Fred grabbed one each and they began eating. 

"It's not much," Ron said, biscuit in his mouth as he walked to the twins, "but it's home."

"It's fantastic," Mia said, looking at him and grinning. Ron grinned back, but just then he had gone a nasty greenish colour.