CXV. HE'S BACK

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

Mia felt herself slam flat into the ground. Her face was pressed into grass, the smell of it filled her nostrils. She had closed her eyes while the Portkey transported her, and she kept them closed now. She did not move. All the breath seemed to have been knocked out of her and her head was swimming so badly she felt as though the ground beneath her were swaying like the deck of a ship. 

To hold herself steady, she tightened her hold on the two things she was still clutching the smooth, cold handle of the Triwizard Cup and Cedric's body. She felt as though she would slide away into the blackness gathering at the edges of her brain if she let go of either of them.

A torrent of sound deafened and confused her, there were voices everywhere, footsteps, screams. She remained where she was, her face screwed up against the noise, as though it were a nightmare that would pass.

Then a pair of hands seized her roughly and turned her over.

"Mia! Mia!"

She opened her eyes.

She was looking up at the starry sky, and Albus Dumbledore was crouched over her. The dark shadows of a crowd of people pressed in around them, pushing nearer. Mia felt the ground beneath her head reverberating with their footsteps.

She had come back to the edge of the maze. She could see the stands rising above her, the shapes of people moving in them, the stars above. Mia let go of the cup, but she clutched Cedric to her even more tightly. 

"He's back," Mia sobbed as she sat up. "He's back. Voldemort. Cedric, he asked me to bring his body back. I couldn't leave him. N-Not there." 

"It's alright Mia," Dumbledore said as Mia sobbed, "it's alright, he's home, you both are."

"Mia, let go of him," she heard Fudge's voice say, and she felt fingers trying to pry him from Cedric's limp body, but Mia wouldn't let him go. Then Dumbledore's face, which was still blurred and misted, came closer.

"Mia, you can't help him now. It's over. Let go."

"No," she sobbed.

"He's home," Dumbledore said, "just let go now. He's safe."

"I'll take Mia, Dumbledore, I'll take her. . . ."

"No, I would prefer. . . ."

"Dumbledore, Amos Diggory's running, he's coming over. Don't you think you should tell him, before he sees. . . .?"

"Mia, stay here. . . ."

Girls were screaming, sobbing hysterically. The scene flickered oddly before Mia's eyes.

"Its all right, Potter, I've got you, come on, hospital wing. . . ."

"Dumbledore said stay," said Mia thickly, the pounding in her head making her feel as though she was about to throw up. Her vision was blurring worse than ever.