XLVII. JUNE 13TH, 1943

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

Mia felt her feet hit solid ground, and stood, shaking, as the blurred shapes around her came suddenly into focus.

She knew immediately where she was. The Entrance Hall steps were in the exact same place as they were currently, nothing had changed, except for the fact everything seemed to be in black and white. Mia looked around, when her eyes landed on a boy of about sixteen standing on the steps. A silver prefect's badge was glinting on his chest. He was much taller than Mia and Harry, but he, too, had jet black hair. The twins looked at each other and walked up the stairs so they were standing next to the boy.

"Excuse me, could you tell us what's going on here?" she asked, looking at him. "Are you, Tom Riddle?" The boy still didn't respond. It was as if he couldn't hear or see.

"Riddle."

Mia gaped at the wizard standing at the top of the stairs. He was none other than a fifty year younger Dumbledore.

"Professor Dumbledore," Riddle said as Mia's eyes went wide.

"Bloody hell Dumbledore looks exactly the same," she said to Harry.

"Maybe he just doesn't age after a certain point," Harry suggested. 

"It is not wise to be wandering around at this late hour, Tom," said Dumbledore, giving Riddle exactly the kind of penetrating stare Mia knew so well.

"Yes Professor," Riddle said back to him, "I suppose I. . . . I had to see for myself if the rumours were true."

"I'm afraid they are, Tom," said Dumbledore as Mia watched them, "they are true."

"About the school as well?" Riddle asked, "I don't have a home to go to. They wouldn't really close Hogwarts, would they, Professor?" Mia felt some sympathy to the teenager, he too didn't have a home to go to outside of Hogwarts.

"I understand, Tom, but I'm afraid Headmaster Dippet may have no choice," Dumbledore said as Mia looked at him.

"Sir, if it all stopped," Riddle began, "if the person responsible was caught. . . ."

"Is there something you wish to tell me?" Dumbledore asked, staring at Riddle with the same look he gave Mia before. And just like Mia, he hesitated before answering. 

"No, sir," he said, "nothing."

"He knew," Mia said out loud as she looked at Dumbledore. 

"Very well then," Dumbledore said eventually, "off you go." 

"Goodnight, sir," said Riddle. Riddle watched him walk out of sight and then, moving quickly, headed straight down the stone steps to the dungeons, with Mia and Harry in hot pursuit.

But to Mia's disappointment, Riddle led her and Harry not into a hidden passageway or a secret tunnel but to the very dungeon in which the twins  had Potions with Snape. The torches hadn't been lit, and when Riddle pushed the door almost closed, Mia could only just see him, standing stock still by the door, watching the passage outside.