XXXIX. A LEGEND OR A MYTH

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

"Could I have your attention, please?"

It was the next day and the Gryffindors and Slytherins were in their Transfiguration class.

"Right," Professor McGonagall said as she walked to the front of the class. "Now, today, we will be transforming animals into water goblets. Like so. One, two, three. Vera Verto."

The bird that was sat on her stool on her desk magically transformed into a glass water goblet.

"Now it's your turn. Who would like to go first?" She walked over to Mia and Ron. "Mr. Weasley. One, two, three. Vera Verto." 

Ron cleared his throat and tapped Scabbers three times.

"Vera Verto!" 

Scabbers turned into a goblet, but a hair one with a tail. Mia snorted with laugher as Ron looked horrified. 

"That wand needs replacing, Mr. Weasley," McGonagall said as Mia put a hand over her mouth to stop herself from laughing.

Hermione raised her arm. "Yes, Miss Granger?"

"Professor," Hermione said as Mia stroked Prongs who sat peacefully on her desk. "I was wondering if you could tell us about. . . . the Chamber of Secrets."

Dean Thomas, who had been sitting with his mouth hanging open, gazing out of the window, jerked out of his trance, Lavender Brown's head came up off her arms and Neville Longbottom's elbow slipped off his desk. 

"Very well," McGonagall said as the whole class sat up straighter. "You all know, of course that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age. Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw and Salazar Slytherin. Now, three of the founders coexisted quite harmoniously. One did not."

"Three guesses who," Mia said to Ron who agreed. 

"Salazar Slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts. He believed magical learning should be kept within all-magic families. In other words, pure-bloods. Unable to sway the others, he decided to leave the school. Now, according to legend, Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in this castle known as the Chamber of Secrets. Though, shortly before departing, he sealed it until that time when his own true Heir returned to the school. The Heir alone would be able to open the Chamber and unleash the horror within, and by so doing, purge the school of all those who, in Slytherin's view, were unworthy to study magic."

"You mean Muggle-borns," Mia said as Professor McGonagall pointed her wand at her in agreement. Mia glanced at Draco who was already looking at her.

"Naturally, the school has been searched many times," McGonagall went on, "no such chamber has been found."

"Professor?" Hermione asked, "what exactly does legend tell us lies within the Chamber?"

"The Chamber is said to be home to something that only the Heir of Slytherin can control," McGonagall said, "it is said to be the home, of a monster." Mia pursed her lips.