XCIV. UNFORGIVABLE CURSES

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

"Alastor Moody."

He wrote his name on the chalkboard as Mia was sitting next to Hermione. 

"Ministry malcontent," he went on, "and your new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. I'm here because Dumbledore asked me, end of story, goodbye, the end. Any questions?" 

Nobody said anything.

"When it comes to the dark arts, I believe in a practical approach," Moody went on, "but first, which of you can tell me how many unforgivable curses there are?"

Several hands rose tentatively into the air, including Ron's and Hermione's. Moody pointed at Hermione.

"Three sir," she said as Mood nodded.

"And they are so named?" he asked as Hermione looked at him.

"Because they are unforgivable," she said, slightly shocked he would even ask them that. "The use of any one of them will. . . ."

". . . .will earn you a one way ticket to Azkaban. Correct," he growled as Mia watched him, "now the ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. I say different!" He turned around and began scribbling on the board. "You need to know what you're up against, you need to be prepared, you need to find somewhere else to put your chewing gum other than the underside of your desk Mr. Finnigan!" 

Mia turned around and grinned when she saw the look on Seamus' face.

"Aw no way," Seamus whispered, "the old codger can see out the back of his head." Moody threw the chalk at Seamus and it would have smacked him in the face if he didn't duck.

"And hear across classrooms!" he yelled. He gave a harsh laugh, and then clapped his gnarled hands together. "So, which curse shall we see first?" He looked around the classroom and his eyes landed on Ron. "WEASLEY!"

"Yes?" Ron whimpered.

"Give us a curse," Moody demanded. 

"Well, my dad did tell me about one," Ron said, glancing at Harry before back to Moody, "the Imperious Curse."

"Ahhh yes, your father would know all about that," Moody said, "gave the Ministry quite a bit of grief a few years ago. Perhaps this will show you why."

Moody opened his desk drawer, and took out a glass jar. A large black spider was scuttling around inside it. Moody reached into the jar, caught it and held it in the palm of his hand so that they could all see it. He then pointed his wand at it and muttered, "Imperio!"