CXXXIV. A NEW TEACHER

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

"Sixteen years I've lived and taught here," Professor Trelawney's shaky voice rang out in the silent courtyard. "Hogwarts is my home! You can't do this." She was holding her bag with both hands while her trunks were scattered around her, looking mortified.

"I can," Umbridge said, a sickly sweet smile on her face as she held up a folded piece of paper. 

But she stood and watched, with an expression of gloating enjoyment, as Professor Trelawneyshuddered and moaned, rocking backwards and forwards on her trunk in paroxysms of grief. Mia heard a muffled sob to her left and looked around. Lavender and Parvati were both crying quietly, their arms around each other. Then she heard footsteps. Professor McGonagall had broken away from the spectators marched straight up to Professor Trelawney and was patting her firmly on the back while withdrawing a large handkerchief from within her robes.

"Something you'd like to say?" She asked McGonagall who looked ready to spit fire. 

"Oh, there are several things I would like to say," McGonagall said, looking livid as Mia watched. "There," she said to Trelawney, doing her best to comfort the woman. "There, there, Sybill, calm down, blow your nose on this, it's not as bad as you think, now, you are not going to have to leave Hogwarts."

"Oh really, Professor McGonagall?" said Umbridge in a deadly voice, taking a few steps forward. "And your authority for that statement is. . . .?"

"That would be mine," said a deep voice.

The oaken front doors had swung open. Students beside them scuttled out of the way as Dumbledore appeared at the entrance. What he had been doing out in the grounds Mia could not imagine, but there was something impressive about the sight of him framed in the doorway against an oddly misty day. Leaving the doors wide open behind him he strode forwards through the circle of onlookers towards Professor Trelawney, tear-stained and trembling, on her trunk, Professor McGonagall alongside her.

"Professor McGonagall," the old man called, his voice echoing around the courtyard, "might I ask you to escort Sybil back inside?" Professor Trelawney looked ready to burst into tears.

Professor Sprout came hurrying forward out of the crowd and grabbed Professor Trelawney's other arm. Together, they guided her past Umbridge and up the marble stairs. Professor Flitwick went scurrying after them, his wand held out before him; he squeaked'Locomotor trunks!' and Professor Trelawney's luggage rose into the air and proceeded up the staircase after her, Professor Flitwick bringing up the rear. Professor Umbridge was standing stock still, staring at Dumbledore, who continued to smile benignly.

"Dumbledore," Umbridge said, a cold look on her face once Trelawney was out of earshot, "may I remind you that under the terms of Educational Decree Number. . . ."

"You have the right to dismiss my teachers," Dumbledore said as Umbridge stared him down. "You do not, however, have the authority to banish them from the grounds. That power remains with the headmaster."