LXII. PROFESSOR R.J. LUPIN

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

"Ron! Ron!"

Steam was billowing from the Hogwarts Expresses as it had started to move. Mrs. Weasley was running after it, Scabbers in her hand as Ron leant out of the window and took his rat from his mother.

"Oh, for goodness sake, don't lose him!" Mrs. Weasley yelled as Ron awkwardly waved at his mother before he, Mia, Harry and Hermione leant out of the window and waved at Mr. and Mrs. Weasley until the train turned a corner and blocked them from view. Mia, Harry, Ron, and Hermione set off down the corridor, looking for an empty compartment.

"I didn't mean to blow her up," Harry said as they walked down the corridor, trying to find a compartment.

"I did," Mia said, "stupid bitch should have kept her mouth shut."

"Brilliant," Ron said as he and Mia awkwardly high-fived.

"Honestly, Ron, it's not funny," Hermione said sternly "Mia and Harry were lucky not to be expelled."

"I think we were lucky not to be arrested, actually," Harry said as Mia laughed.

"I still think it was brilliant," Ron said.

"Come on," Hermione said to the last compartment, "everywhere else is full."

This had only one occupant, a man sitting fast asleep next to the window. Mia, Harry, Ron, and Hermione checked on the threshold. The Hogwarts Express was usually reserved for students and they had never seen an adult there before, except for the witch who pushed the food cart.

The stranger was wearing an extremely shabby set of wizard's robes that had been darned in several places. He looked ill and exhausted. Though quite young, his light brown hair was flecked with grey.

"Who do you think that is?" Ron whispered as they sat down and slid the door shut, taking the seats farthest away from the window.

"Professor R.J. Lupin," Hermione said as Mia furrowed her eyebrows. Something seemed familair about that name.

"Do you know everything?" Ron asked in disbelief before he turned to the twins, "how is it she knows everything?"

"It's on his suitcase, Ronald," she replied, pointing at the luggage rack over the man's head, where there was a small, battered case held together with a large quantity of neatly knotted string. The name Professor R. J. Lupin was stamped across one corner in peeling letters.

"Oh," Ron said as Mia snorted.

"Do you think he's really asleep?" Harry asked.

"Seems to be," Hermione said, "why?"

"I gotta tell you something," Harry said, getting up and shutting the compartment door.

Mia and Harry explained all about the warning Mr. Weasley had given them the day before. When they'd finished, Ron looked thunderstruck, and Hermione had her hands over her mouth.