XXXI. FLYING CARS AND SMASHING TREES

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

"10:58, come on," Mrs. Weasley called to her children and the Potters as they rushed into Kings Cross. "The train will be leaving any moment. Fred, George, Percy, you first."

 Percy strode briskly forward and vanished. Mr. Weasley went next; Fred and George followed. 

"I'll take Ginny and you three come right after us," Mrs. Weasley told Mia, Harry and Ron, grabbing Ginny's hand and setting off. In the blink of an eye they were gone.

"Let's go," Mia said to the boys as they looked at the clock. 

Mia made sure that Prongs' cage was safely wedged on top of her trunk and wheeled her trolley around to face the barrier. She felt perfectly confident. This wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as using Floo powder. All three of them bent low over the handles of their trolleys and walked purposefully toward the barrier, gathering speed. A few feet away from it, they broke into a run and. . . .

CRASH. 

All three trolleys hit the barrier and bounced backward. Ron's trunk fell off with a loud thump, Harry was knocked off his feet, Mia landed face first onto the stone ground and Prongs and Hedwig's cage bounced onto the shiny floor, and they rolled away, shrieking indignantly. People all around them stared and a guard nearby yelled, "What in blazes d'you think you're doing?"

"Lost control of the trolley," Harry gasped, clutching his ribs as he got up. Ron ran to pick up Prongs and Hedwig, who was causing such a scene that there was a lot of muttering about cruelty to animals from the surrounding crowd.

"Why can't we get through?" Mia asked, standing up and gasping for air as blood was leaking from both her nostrils.

"I don't know," Ron said, pressing his hand onto the gateway, "the gateway has sealed itself for some reason."

Mia looked up at the giant clock with a sickening feeling in the pit of her stomach. 

Ten seconds. . . .

Nine seconds. . . .

"What the fuck do we do now?" Mia groaned. 

Three seconds. . . .

Two seconds. . . .

One second. . . .

"It's gone," said Ron, sounding stunned. "The train's left. What if Mum and Dad can't get back through to us?"

"Maybe we should just go and wait by the car," Harry suggested and both Mia and Ron looked at each other, matching grins on their faces.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Ron asked as Mia nodded.

"You know it," she said as Harry looked at them and then his face fell.

"Wait, what about your Mum and Dad?" Harry asked.