XXXV. COLIN CREEVEY

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

Mia left Harry, Ron and Hermione at their tray to grab a sack of compost as the others set the tray up. 

"Ew, look at her hair," Pansy Parkinson chuckled as Mia walked past her Draco, Crabbe and Goyle. "I can't believe they let her back in the school after what she did." Draco watched as Mia picked up a sack of compost. "Merlin," Pansy added as Mia walked towards them, "she believes she so much better than everyone just because of who she is." Mia stopped walking and turned to face Pansy.

"For the record," she said as Draco watched her, "I don't believe that I'm better than everyone else. Just that I'm better than you, but that's not very difficult to do." 

She sent Pansy a sarcastic smile before walking back to her tray where they were joined by a curly-haired Hufflepuff boy Mia knew by sight but had never spoken to. 

"Justin Finch-Fletchley," he said brightly, shaking Mia by the hand the second she put the sack down and shaking Harry's as well. "Know who you are, of course, the famous Euphemia and Harry Potter. And you're Hermione Granger, always top in everything."

Hermione beamed as she had her hand shaken too.

"And Ron Weasley. Wasn't that your flying car?" 

Ron didn't smile. The Howler was obviously still on his mind. 

"That Lockhart's something, isn't he?" said Justin happily as they began filling their plant pots with dragon dung compost. 

"He's something alright," Mia said with a sarcastic smile that Justin mistook for a genuine one.

"Awfully brave chap," he said as Mia subtly rolled her eyes. "Have you read his books? I'd have died of fear if Id been cornered in a telephone booth by a werewolf, but he stayed cool and, zap, just fantastic. "My name was down for Eton, you know. I can't tell you how glad I am I came here instead. Of course, Mother was slightly disappointed, but since I made her read Lockhart's books I think she's begun to see how useful it'll be to have a fully trained wizard in the family. . . ."

After that they didn't have much chance to talk. Their earmuffs were back on and they needed to concentrate on the Mandrakes. Professor Sprout had made it look extremely easy, but it wasn't.

The Mandrakes didn't like coming out of the earth, but didn't seem to want to go back into it either. They squirmed, kicked, flailed their sharp little fists, and gnashed their teeth. Mia spent ten whole minutes trying to squash a particularly fat one into a pot. 

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

By the end of the class, Mia, like everyone else, was sweaty, aching, and covered in earth. Everyone traipsed back to the castle for a quick wash and then the Gryffindors hurried off to Transfiguration. Professor McGonagall's classes were always hard work, but today was especially difficult. Everything Mia had learned last year seemed to have leaked out of her head during the summer.