CXXV. DEPARTMENT OF MAGICAL LAW ENFORCEMENT

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

Jostled slightly by the crowd, Mia and Harry followed Mr. Weasley through the gates into the smaller hall beyond, where at least twenty lifts stood behind wrought golden grilles. Mia, Harry and Mr. Weasley joined the crowd around one of them as Mia started at the lift, moving her blue eyes around as she turned her head. 

With a great jangling and clattering a lift descended in front of them; the golden grille slid back and Mia, Harry and Mr. Weasley moved inside it with the rest of the crowd. Mia found herself jammed against the back wall of the lift. Several witches and wizards were looking at her curiously; she stared at her feet to avoid catching anyone's eye, tightening her plaits as she did so. The grilles slid shut with a crash and the lift ascended slowly, chains rattling all the while, while a cool female voice rang out.

"Level seven, Department of Magical Games and Sports, incorporating the British and Irish Quidditch League Headquarters, Official Gobstones Club, and Ludicrous Patents Office."

The lift doors opened; Mia glimpsed an untidy-looking corridor, with various posters of Quidditch teams tacked lopsidedly on the walls. One of the wizards in the lift, who was carrying an armful of broomsticks, extricated himself with difficulty and disappeared down the corridor.

The doors closed, the lift juddered upward again, and the woman's voice said, "Level six, Department of Magical Transport, incorporating the Floo Network Authority, Broom Regulatory Control, Portkey Office, and Apparition Test Center." 

Once again the lift doors opened and four or five witches and wizards got out; at the same time, several paper aeroplanes swooped into the lift. Mia stared up at them as they flapped idly around above his head. They were a pale violet colour and she could see MINISTRY OF MAGIC stamped along the edges of their wings. Mia furrowed her eyebrows when Kingsley walked into the lift and stood behind Mr. Weasley and muttered in his ear. As they clattered upward again, the memos flapped around the swaying lamp in the lift's ceiling.

"Merlin's beard," he said eventually as Mia and Harry exchanged looks. "Thank you, Kingsley." He turned to the twins. "They've changed the time of your hearing."

"When is it?" Mia asked.

"In five minutes," Mr. Weasley said as Mia's face dropped.

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

"Department of Mysteries."

The lift came to a stop and Mia was met with yet another corridor, which bore a great resemblance to that which led to Snape's dungeon at Hogwarts, with rough stone walls and torches in brackets. 

"This is pleasant," Mia muttered as they walked out of the lift and down the corridor. 

". . . .and I'm confident, minister, that you will do the right thing."