LXXXVI. FREEDOM

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

"What did you do?" 

Mia jumped feet and turned around and saw Hermione looking outraged and her brother looking impressed.

"You said you were only going to keep a lookout!"

"I just saved all our lives," said Mia. "Get behind here behind this bush, I'll explain."

Harry and Hermione listened to what had just happened with her mouth open yet again.

"Did anyone see you?"

"Yes, haven't you been listening? I saw me, but I thought I was my mum! It's okay!"

"Mia, I can't believe it. . . You conjured up a Patronus that drove away all those Dementors! That's very, very advanced magic."

"I knew I could do it this time," said Mia, "because I'd already done it. . . .  Does that make sense?"

"I don't know, guys, look at Snape!"

Together they peered around the bush at the other bank. Snape had regained consciousness. He was conjuring stretchers and lifting the limp forms of Mia, Harry, Hermione, and Black onto them. A fifth stretcher, no doubt bearing Ron, was already floating at his side. Then, wand held out in front of him, he moved them away toward the castle.

"Right, it's nearly time," said Hermione tensely, looking at her watch. "We've got about forty-five minutes until Dumbledore locks the door to the hospital wing. We've got to rescue Sirius and get back into the ward before anybody realises we're missing. . . . "

They waited, watching the moving clouds reflected in the lake, while the bush next to them whispered in the breeze. Buckbeak, bored, was ferreting for worms again.

"Look!" Hermione whispered. "Who's that? Someone's coming back out of the castle!"

Mia and Harry stared through the darkness. The man was hurrying across the grounds, toward one of the entrances. Something shiny glinted in his belt.

"Macnair!" said Harry. "The executioner! He's gone to get the Dementors! This is it, guys."

"You guys head up," Mia said, "I want to try something." Harry and Hermione exchanged confused looks before nodding. 

Hermione put her hands on Buckbeak's back and Harry gave her a leg up. Then he placed his foot on one of the lower branches of the bush and climbed up in front of her. He pulled Buckbeak's rope back over his neck and tied it to the other side of his collar like reins.

"Ready?" Harry said to Hermione. "You'd better hold on to me."

He nudged Buckbeak's sides with his heels.

Buckbeak soared straight into the dark air. Harry gripped his flanks with his knees, feeling the great wings rising powerfully beneath them. Hermione was holding Harry very tight around the waist and Mia watched them fly off as she looked back down and took a breath. She ran through the forest and arrived in an empty, dark space.

Mia shut her eyes and concentrated hard. She took a deep breath and when she opened her eyes again, she let out a laugh. Two energy balls were at her hands as she was levitating in the air. She grinned as she laughed and put on a burst of energy and the young girl had a grin on her face as she was gliding quietly toward the upper floors of the castle, looking nothing more than a red glow. The ginger grinned when she saw Harry and Hermione hovering by a window. She flew up and them and smiled.

"Alright guys?" she asked smiling. Harry and Hermione turned to Mia shocked as she grinned. She flew towards the window and tapped on it. Black looked up. Mia saw his jaw drop. He leapt from his chair, hurried to the window and tried to open it, but it was locked. Mia grinned as her eyes glowed red and the window sprung open. 

"How, how. . . .?" said Black weakly, staring at the Hippogriff and the glowing girl.

"Long story," Mia said, "you better hurry. There's not much time."

Black placed a hand on either side of the window frame and heaved his head and shoulders out of it. It was very lucky he was so thin. In seconds, he had managed to fling one leg over Buckbeak's back and pull himself onto the Hippogriff behind Hermione.

"Okay, Buckbeak, up!" said Harry, shaking the rope. "Up to the tower -- come on. "

The Hippogriff gave one sweep of its mighty wings and they were soaring upward again, high as the top of the West Tower. Mia followed them, her ginger hair blowing behind them. Buckbeak landed with a clatter on the battlements, and Harry and Hermione slid off him at once while Mia gently floated back onto the ground.

"Sirius, you'd better go, quick," Harry panted. "They'll reach Flitwick's office any moment, they'll find out you're gone."

Buckbeak pawed the ground, tossing his sharp head.

"What happened to the other boy? Ron?" croaked Sirius.

"He's going to be okay," Mia said, "his leg can be fixed in a heartbeat. But you better go."

But Black was still staring down at Mia and Harry.

"How can I ever thank. . . ."

"GO!" Harry and Hermione shouted together.

Black wheeled Buckbeak around, facing the open sky.

"We'll see each other again," he said. "You are, truly your father's children, Mia and Harry. . . ."

He squeezed Buckbeak's sides with his heels. Mia, Harry and Hermione jumped back as the enormous wings rose once more. The Hippogriff took off into the air. He and his rider became smaller and smaller as Mia gazed after them, then a cloud drifted across the moon. They were gone. 

"Come on," Mia said, "we gotta get back."

The trio looked at each other and slipped through the doorway behind them and down a tightly spiralling stone staircase. They ran down one staircase, then another, along a new corridor and broke into a run. They had reached the end of the corridor with the hospital wing entrance.

"Okay, I can hear Dumbledore," said Hermione tensely. "Come on, twins!"

They crept along the corridor. The door opened. Dumbledore's back appeared.

"I am going to lock you in," they heard him saying. "it is five minutes to midnight. Miss. Granger, three turns should do it. Good luck. "

Dumbledore backed out of the room, closed the door, and took out his wand to magically lock it. Panicking, Mia, Harry and Hermione ran forward. Dumbledore looked up, and a wide smile appeared under the long silver moustache. "Well?" he said quietly.

"We did it!" said Mia breathlessly. "Sirius has gone, on Buckbeak. . . . ."

Dumbledore beamed at them.

"Well done. I think," He listened intently for any sound within the hospital wing. "Yes, I think you've gone too. Get inside, I'll lock you in."

Mia, Harry and Hermione slipped back inside the hospital wing. 

"How did you get there?"

The trio turned around and saw Ron staring at them in surprise. "I was talking to you there. And now you're there." 

"What's he talking about, guys?" Hermione asked, amused as the twins shrugged.

"I don't know," Harry said. 

"Honestly, Ron," Mia said chuckling, "how can somebody be in two places at once?" The trio exchanged small smirks as Ron was staring at them confused.