XLVI. COUGHING UP FURBALLS

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

"That was close."

The trio were back in the bathroom, all looking like themselves again. Mia caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror and cringed when she saw the Slytherin robes.

"Hermione, come out," Mia called walking to Hermione's door and knocking on it. "We've got loads to tell you."

"Go away," came Hermione's voice. The trio looked at each other, confused. But Moaning Myrtle glided suddenly through the stall door. Mia had never seen her looking so happy.

"Wait till you see," Moaning Myrtle said. "It's awful."

"Hermione?" Harry asked. "Are you okay?"

Mia looked at the boys then pushed open the bathroom stall door.

"Do you remember me telling you that the Polyjuice Potion was only for human transformations?" Hermione asked, her robes over her head. 

"It was cat hair I plucked off Millicent Bulstrode's robes," she said. Hermione let her robes fall and Ron backed into the sink.

Her face was covered in black fur. Her eyes had turned yellow and there were long, pointed ears poking through her hair.

"Look at my face," she said as Mia looked at her shocked and took a step back.

"Look at your tail," Ron said, a grin growing on his face. 

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

Hermione remained in the hospital wing for several weeks. There was a flurry of rumour about her disappearance when the rest of the school arrived back from their Christmas holidays, because of course everyone thought that she had been attacked. So many students filed past the hospital wing trying to catch a glimpse of her that Madam Pomfrey took out her curtains again and placed them around Hermione's bed, to spare her the shame of being seen with a furry face.

"Have you spoken to Hermione?" Harry asked as he, Mia and Ron left the infirmary and started up the stairs toward Gryffindor Tower. Snape had given them so much homework, Harry thought he was likely to be in the sixth year before he finished it. 

"She should be out of hospital in a few days," Mia said, "when she stops coughing up fur balls."

She gave a slight chuckle as she carried on walking. Ron was just saying he wished he had asked Hermione how many rat tails you were supposed to add to a Hair Raising Potion when an angry outburst from the floor above reached their ears.

"That's Filch," Harry muttered as they hurried up the stairs and paused, out of sight, listening hard.

"You don't think someone else's been attacked?" said Ron tensely.

They stood still, their heads inclined toward Flich's voice, which sounded quite hysterical.

". . . .even more work for me! Mopping all night, like I haven't got enough to do! No, this is the final straw, I'm going to Dumbledore. . . ."