CX. SURPRISE VISIT

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

The dungeon dissolved around him; for a moment, all was blackness, and then she felt as though she had done a slow-motion somersault, suddenly landing flat on her feet, in what seemed like the dazzling light of Dumbledore's sunlit office. The stone basin was shimmering in the cabinet in front of her, and Albus Dumbledore was standing beside her.

"Oh fuck," she said as her eyes went wide, "shit, sorry!" Dumbledore chuckled. 

"You had the exact same expression on your face that James had when I caught him, Sirius and Remus in here," he said amused as Mia smiled lightly. "If I can recall, he said the exact same thing you did."

He lifted the basin, carried it over to his desk, placed it upon the polished top, and sat down in the chair behind it. He motioned for Mia to sit down opposite him. Mia did so, staring at the stone basin. The contents had returned to their original, silvery-white state, swirling and rippling beneath her gaze.

"What is that thing?" Mia asked shakily.

"This? It is called a Pensieve," said Dumbledore. "I sometimes find, and I am sure you know the feeling, that I simply have too many thoughts and memories crammed into my mind."

"What happened to Mr. Crouch's son?" Mia asked. 

"He was sent to Azkaban," Dumbledore explained, "destroyed Barty to do it. But he had no choice, the evidence was overwhelming. Why do you ask?"

Mis hesitated.

"I had a dream about him," she said, "and so did Harry. It was in the summer, before school. In the dream I was in a house and Voldemort was there only he wasn't quite human, and Wormtail was there too and Mr Crouch's son. Harry had the exact same one."

Dumbledore merely looked at him.

"I see," said Dumbledore quietly. "I see. Now, has your powers and Harry's scar hurt at any other time this year, excepting the time it woke you up over the summer?"

"No, I, how did you know it woke me up over the summer?" said Mia, astonished.

"You are not Remus' only correspondent," said Dumbledore. "I have also been in contact with him ever since he left Hogwarts last year."

"Professor?" she said again.

"Yes, Mia?" said Dumbledore.

"Were they talking about Neville's parents?" Dumbledore gave Harry a very sharp look. 

"Has Neville never told you why he has been brought up by his grandmother?" he said.

"I never wanted to ask," she said, "I thought there had to be a reason." Dumbledore nodded.

"Yes, they were talking about Neville's parents," said Dumbledore. "His father, Frank, was an Auror just like Professor Moody. He and his wife were tortured for information about Voldemort's whereabouts after he lost his powers, as you heard."