XXXVII. NEW SEEKER

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

"I spent the summer devising a whole new Quidditch program."

Mia was walking next to Oliver Wood in her scarlet Quidditch robes through the courtyard with the rest of the Gryffindor Quidditch team as they were making their way to the pitch for training. 

"We're gonna train earlier, harder and longer," Wood added. Mia looked up and furrowed her eyebrows.

"Wood," she said, "look." 

Wood looked to where Mia was looking and his face fell. Several people in green robes were walking across the courtyard, broomsticks in their hands.

"What?" he hissed angrily, "I don't believe it." They walked onto the courtyard and came face to face with the Slytherin Quidditch team. 

"Where you think you're going, Flint?" Wood asked angrily. 

Marcus Flint was even larger than Wood. He had a look of trollish cunning on his face as he replied, "Quidditch practice." 

There were no girls on the Slytherin team.

"I booked the pitch for Gryffindor today," Oliver said, positively spitting with rage as Mia and Fred exchanged confused looks.

"Easy, Wood," Flint said, "I've got a note." 

He handed Wood a scroll as Harry, Ron and Hermione walked over to them. 

Wood took the note and read it out loud. 

"I, Professor Severus Snape, do hereby give the Slytherin team permission to practice today, owing to the need to train their new Seeker," he put the note away and looked at Flint. "You've got a new Seeker. Who?"

The Slytherin team stepped aside as Mia laughed.

"Oh you have got to be fucking kidding me," she said, shaking her head and chuckling in disbelief. "Really? They made you the Seeker?"

Draco had a cocky smirk as he wore the emerald green Quidditch robes. 

"That's right," he said with a cocky grin, "and that's not all that's new this year."

All seven of them held out their broomsticks. Seven highly polished, brand-new handles and seven sets of fine gold lettering spelling the words Nimbus Two Thousand and One gleamed under the Gryffindors' noses.

"Those are Nimbus Two Thousand and Ones," Ron said in awe. Mia looked over at him. "How did you get those? "

"A gift from Draco's father," Flint said. 

"You see, Weasley," Draco said as Mia looked at him, "unlike some, my father can afford the best."

"At least no one on the Gryffindor team had to buy their way in," Hermione said sharply as Mia smirked, "they got in on pure talent." The smug look on Draco's face flickered.