XLIII. TALKING TO SNAKES

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

Mia's eyes flashed red in anger and an energy ball appeared at her hand. Thinking quickly, Draco raised his wand quickly and bellowed, "Serpensortia!" 

The end of his wand exploded. Mia watched, terrified, as a long black snake shot out of it, fell heavily onto the floor between them, and raised itself, ready to strike. There were screams as the crowd backed swiftly away, clearing the floor. 

"Don't move, Miss. Potter," said Snape lazily, clearly enjoying the sight of Mia standing motionless, eye to eye with the angry snake. "I'll get rid of it. . . ." 

"Allow me!" shouted Lockhart. He brandished his wand at the snake and there was a loud bang.

The snake, instead of vanishing, flew ten feet into the air and fell back to the floor with a loud smack. Enraged, hissing furiously, it slithered straight toward Justin Finch-Fletchley and raised itself again, fangs exposed, poised to strike. 

Mia wasn't sure what made her do it. She wasn't even aware of deciding to do it. All she knew was that her legs were carrying her forward as though she was on casters and that she had shouted stupidly at the snake, "Leave him alone!" 

And miraculously, inexplicably the snake slumped to the floor, docile as a thick, black garden hose, its eyes now on Mia. Mia felt the fear drain out of her. She knew the snake wouldn't attack anyone now, though how she knew it, she couldn't have explained. She looked up at Justin, grinning, expecting to see Justin looking relieved, or puzzled, or even grateful, but certainly not angry and scared. 

"What do you think you're playing at?" he shouted, and before Mia could say anything, Justin had turned and stormed out of the hall. 

"She told the snake to leave him alone," Harry said as Mia nodded. Mia looked around the hall, seeing the looks on people's faces.

Snape stepped forward, waved his wand, and the snake vanished in a small puff of black smoke. Snape, too, was looking at both Mia and Harry in an unexpected way. It was a shrewd and calculating look, and Mia didn't like it. She was also dimly aware of an ominous muttering all around the walls. Then she felt a tugging on the back of her robes. 

"Come on," said Ron's voice in his ear. "Move, come on. . . ." 

Ron steered her out of the hall, Hermione steering Harry out alongside them. As they went through the doors, the people on either side drew away as though they were frightened of catching something. Mia didn't have a clue what was going on, and neither Ron nor Hermione explained anything until they had dragged the twins all the way up to the empty Gryffindor common room.

"You're a Parselmouth, both of you. Why didn't you tell us?"

"Come again?" Mia asked. 

"You can talk to snakes," Hermione clarified.