LXXXV. PRONGS

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

"Fucking hell," Mia breathed as she chuckled. "That was fun." She clapped her hands. "Right, we need to go see the Whomping Willow."

They moved around the edge of the forest, darkness falling thickly around them until they were hidden behind a clump of trees through which they could make out the Willow. 

"There's Ron!" said Harry suddenly. 

"Ouch!"

Mia looked up and saw Ron running after Scabbers. She saw herself, Harry and Ron look at each other and then followed at a sprint.

"Wait, is that Crookshanks?" Mia heard herself say. 

"This is creepy," Mia said as she rested her head on a tree.

"Gotcha! Get off, you stinking cat. . . ."

"Oh fuck," Mia heard herself say.

"There's Sirius!" said Harry. The great shape of the dog had bounded out from the roots of the Willow. They saw him bowl Harry over as Mia watched her eyes glowed red and a red ball of energy appeared at her hand and she flicked it at the dog, knocking it off.

"Oops," she said.

"Looks even worse from here, doesn't it?" said Harry, watching the dog pulling Ron into the roots. "Ouch, look, I just got walloped by the tree, and so did you two." 

The Whomping Willow was creaking and lashing out with its lower branches; they could see themselves darting here and there, trying to reach the trunk. And then the tree froze.

"That was Crookshanks pressing the knot," said Hermione.

"And there we go. . . ." Harry muttered. "We're in."

The moment they disappeared, the tree began to move again. Seconds later, they heard footsteps quite close by. Dumbledore, Macnair, Fudge, and the old Committee member were making their way up to the castle.

"Right after we'd gone down into the passage!" said Hermione. "If only Dumbledore had come with us. . . "

"Macnair and Fudge would've come too," said Mia bitterly. 

"I bet you anything Fudge would've told Macnair to murder Sirius on the spot," Harry said, just as bitter. They watched the four men climb the castle steps and disappear from view. For a few minutes the scene was deserted. Then. . . .

"Here comes Lupin!" said Mia as they saw another figure sprinting down the stone steps and halting toward the Willow. Mia looked up at the sky. Clouds were obscuring the moon completely.

They watched Lupin seize a broken branch from the ground and prod the knot on the trunk. The tree stopped fighting, and Lupin, too, disappeared into the gap in its roots.