CXLI. DUMBLEDORE'S GOT STYLE

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

Mia pulled herself free of Umbridge's grasp as the door swung shut behind them and stood next to Draco. Cornelius Fudge was glaring at him with a kind of vicious satisfaction on his face. 

"Well," he said. "Well, well, well. . . ."

Mia replied with the dirtiest look she could muster. Her heart drummed madly inside her, but her brain was oddly cool and clear. 

"We caught her right in the act," said Umbridge. There was an indecent excitement in her voice, the same callous pleasure Mia had heard as she watched Professor Trelawney dissolving with misery in the Entrance Hall. "The Malfoy boy here got her here."

"Did he, did he?" said Fudge appreciatively, looking at Draco. "I must remember to tell Lucius. Well, Potter, I expect you know why you are here?"

"No," Mia said casually. 

"I beg your pardon?" said Fudge. 

"I mean no," Mia said, "you wanna hear it in Spanish? Noh."

"You don't know why you are here?"

"No, I don't," said Mia. Fudge looked incredulously from Mia to Professor Umbridge. Mia took advantage of her momentary inattention to steal another quick look at Dumbledore, who gave the carpet the tiniest of nods and the shadow of a wink. 

"So you have no idea," said Fudge, in a voice positively sagging with sarcasm, "why Professor Umbridge has brought you to this office? You are not aware that you have broken any school rules?" The ginger girl looked down at the floor, then looked back up and moved her hair out of her face.

"School rules?" said Mia. "No."

"Or Ministry Decrees?" amended Fudge angrily. 

"Not that I'm aware of," said Mia blandly, "we were all studying for our upcoming O.W.L.s." Her heart was still hammering very fast. It was almost worth telling these lies to watch Fudges blood pressure rising, but she could not see how on earth she would get away with them. If somebody had tipped off Umbridge about the DA then she, the leader, might as well be packing her trunk right now. 

"So, it's news to you, is it," said Fudge, his voice now thick with anger, "that an illegal student organisation has been discovered within this school?"

"Yes, it is," said Mia, hoisting a convincing look of innocent surprise onto her face. 

"The purpose of Potter's meeting with these students," continued Professor Umbridge, "was to persuade them to join an illegal society, whose aim was to learn spells and curses the Ministry has decided are inappropriate for school-age. . . ."

"I think you'll find you're wrong there, Dolores," said Dumbledore quietly, peering at her over the half-moon spectacles perched halfway down his crooked nose. Mia stared at him. She could not see how Dumbledore was going to talk him out of this one.