CXXXVI. DUMBLEDORE'S ARMY

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

The whole group seemed to have held its breath while Mia sat there. Mia had the impression that even the barman was listening. He was wiping the same glass with the filthy rag, making it steadily dirtier.

Zacharias said dismissively, "All Dumbledore told us last year was that Cedric Diggory got killed by You-Know-Who and that you brought Diggory's body back to Hogwarts. He didn't give us details, he didn't tell us exactly how Diggory got murdered, I think we'd all like to know. . . ."

"If you've come to hear exactly what it looks like when Voldemort murders someone I can't help you," Mia said. Her temper, always so close to the surface these days, was rising again. She did not take her eyes from Zacharias Smith's aggressive face. "I don't want to talk about Cedric Diggory, all right? So if that's what you're here for, you might as well fuck off now."

She sighed and stood up and stood next to Hermione.

"Let's just go," she said, shaking her head. 

"Is it true you can produce a Patronus Charm?" Lua asked, looking dreamy as Mia turned to her.

"Yes," Harry said as Mia looked at him, "I've seen it." There was a murmur of interest around the group at this. 

"Blimey, Mia!" said Lee, looking deeply impressed. "I never knew that!"

"Mum told Ron not to spread it around,' said Fred, grinning at Mia. "She said you got enough attention as it was."

"She's not wrong," mumbled Mia, and a couple of people laughed.

"And she killed a basilisk," Neville said, looking proud as Mia smiled weakly, "with the sword in Dumbledore's office."

Justin Finch-Fletchley whistled; the Creevey brothers exchanged awestruck looks and Lavender Brown said 'Wow!' softly.

"It's true," Ron said as Mia looked at him. "Third year, she fought off about a hundred Dementors at once."

"And last year, she did fight off Voldemort in the flesh," Harry said as Mia looked at him.

"Look," she said, and everyone fell silent at once, "I, I don't want to sound like I'm trying to be modest or anything, but I had a lot of help with all that stuff."

"Not with the dragon, you didn't," said Michael Corner at once. "That was a seriously cool bit of flying."

"Yeah, well," said Mia, feeling it would be churlish to disagree. 

"And nobody helped you get rid of those Dementors this summer," said Susan Bones. 

"Look," Mia said, "I know I did bits of it without help, but the point I'm trying to make is. . . ."

"Are you trying to weasel out of showing us any of this stuff?" said Zacharias Smith. 

"Here's an idea," said Ron loudly, before Mia could speak, "why don't you shut your mouth?"