XXV. FINAL FEAST

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

Something gold was glinting just above her. The Snitch! 

She tried to catch it, but her arms were too heavy. 

She blinked. It wasn't the Snitch at all. 

It was a pair of glasses. How strange. 

She blinked again. 

The smiling face of Albus Dumbledore swam into view above her.

"Good afternoon, Euphemia," he said kindly, "ah. Tokens from your admirers?" 

Mia sat up, utterly confused.

"What?" she asked. 

Mia looked around her. She realised she must be in the hospital wing. She was lying in a bed with white linen sheets and next to her was a table piled high with what looked like half the sweet-shop. 

"What happened down in the dungeons between you and Professor Quirrell is a complete secret," Dumbledore said, "so, naturally, the whole school knows." They both chuckled slightly. "Ah, I see your friend Ronald has saved you the trouble of opening your Chocolate Frogs."

"Ron was here? Is he all right?" Mia asked, "what about Harry and Hermione?"

"Fine," Dumbledore said, "they're all just fine." Mia smiled lightly. 

"The stone was destroyed, wasn't it?" she asked as Dumbledore smiled and nodded. 

"My friend Nicholas and I had a little chat and agreed it was best all around," he said, sitting at the end of Mia's bed. 

"He'll die, won't he?" she asked as Dumbledore looked at her.

"He has enough Elixir to set his affairs in order," he told her, "but yes, he will die."

"Another thing Professor," Mia said, "how is it I got the Stone? One minute I was staring in the mirror, and the next, it was there."

"Ah," Dumbledore said beaming, "you see, only a person who wanted to find the Stone, find it, but not use it, would be able to get it. That is one of my more brilliant ideas. And between you and me that's saying something." 

Mia chuckled slightly. 

"Does that mean, with the Stone gone, I mean," Mia said, "that Voldemort can never come back?"

"Ah, I'm afraid there are ways in which he can return," Dumbledore said, frowning slightly, "Mia, do you know why Professor Quirrell couldn't bear to have you touch him?" 

Mia shook her head. 

"It was because of your mother. She sacrificed herself for you, and that kind of act leaves a mark." Mia furrowed her eyebrows. 

"Like the one Harry's got?" she asked.

"No, no, this kind of mark cannot be seen. It lives in your very skin."