LXXXIII. THREE TURNS SHOULD DO IT

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

There was a howl and a rumbling growl. Mia and Harry turned to see the werewolf taking flight, it was galloping into the forest. . . .

"Sirius, he's gone, Pettigrew transformed!" Harry yelled.

Black was bleeding; there were gashes across his muzzle and back, but at Harry's words he scrambled up again, and in an instant, the sound of his paws faded to silence as he pounded away across the grounds.

Mia, Harry and Hermione dashed over to Ron.

"What did he do to him?" Hermione whispered. Ron's eyes were only half-closed, his mouth hung open. He was definitely alive, they could hear him breathing, but he didn't seem to recognise them.

"I don't know. . . ."

Mia looked desperately around. Black and Lupin both gone. . . they had no one but Snape for company, still hanging, unconscious, in midair.

"We'd better get them up to the castle and tell someone," said Harry, pushing his hair out of his eyes, trying to think straight. "Come. . . ."

But then, from beyond the range of their vision, they heard a yelping, a whining: a dog in pain. . . .

"Sirius," Harry muttered, staring into the darkness.

He had a moment's indecision, but there was nothing they could do for Ron at the moment, and by the sound of it, Black was in trouble.

Harry set off at a run, Mia and Hermione right behind him. The yelping seemed to be coming from the ground near the edge of the lake. They pelted toward it, and Mia, running flat out, felt the cold without realising what it must mean. . . .

The yelping stopped abruptly. As they reached the lakeshore, they saw why, Sirius had turned back into a man. He was crouched on all fours, his hands over his head.

"Nooo," he moaned. "Nooo. . . . please. . . ."

And then Mia saw them. Dementors, at least a hundred of them, gliding in a black mass around the lake toward them. She spun around, the familiar, icy cold penetrating her insides, fog starting to obscure her vision; more were appearing out of the darkness on every side; they were encircling them. . . .

"Guys, think of something happy!" Mia yelled, raising her wand, blinking furiously to try and clear her vision, shaking her head to rid it of the faint screaming that had started inside it.

I'm going to live with my godfather. I'm leaving the Dursleys.

She forced herself to think of her life outside of the Dursley's and began to chant: "Expecto patronum! Expecto patronum!"

Black gave a shudder, rolled over, and lay motionless on the ground, pale as death.

Everything's going to be all right.