XXIII. FLYING KEYS AND CHESS MATCHES

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

All they could hear apart from their footsteps was the gentle drip of water trickling down the walls. The passageway sloped downwards and Mia was reminded of Gringotts. With an unpleasant jolt of the heart, she remembered the dragons said to be guarding vaults in the wizards' bank. If they met a dragon, a fully grown dragon. . . . Norbert had been bad enough.

"What is that?" Hermione asked as they heard fluttering. 

"I don't know," Harry said, "sounds like wings."

They reached the end of the passageway and saw before them a brilliantly lit chamber, its ceiling arching high above them. It was full of small, jewel-bright birds, fluttering and tumbling all around the room. On the opposite side of the chamber was a heavy, wooden door.

"Curious," Hermione said, looking around, "I've never seen birds like these." 

They watched the birds soaring overhead, glittering. . . . glittering?

"They're not birds, they're keys," Mia said laughing, "and I'll bet one of them fits that door." 

As they walked through the room, they came upon a broomstick, suspended in the air. 

"What's this all about?" Hermione asked, standing next to Mia as Ron made his way towards the door. 

"I don't know," Mia admitted.

"Alohomora!" Ron cried, rattling the lock. When it stayed locked, he looked at his friends and shrugged. "Well, it was worth a try."

"Ugh! What're we going to do?" Hermione cried frustrated, "there must be a thousand keys up there!"

"We're looking for a big old fashioned one," Ron said, looking around, "probably rusty like the handle."

Being the youngest Seeker in a century, Mia had a knack for spotting things other people didn't. After a minute's looking about through the whirl of rainbow feathers, she noticed a large silver key that had a bent wing, as if it had already been caught and stuffed roughly into the keyhole.

"There! I see it!" she said pointing and grinning, "the one with the broken wing!" She looked at the broom and laughed. "This is going to be so fucking easy." 

She grabbed the broomstick and the second she did, all the keys came flying down at her, as if they were trying to peck at her. 

"This complicates things a bit!" Ron said as Mia climbed onto the broom and kicked off hard from the ground. 

Mia streaked after it. It sped towards the wall. Her eyes glowed red as the key froze in mid air. Mia beamed as she leant forward and with a nasty crunching noise, pinned it against the stone with one hand. Harry, Ron and Hermione's cheers echoed around the high chamber.

"Catch the key!" she yelled. She flew past them and threw the key to Hermione, who caught it and ran for the lock while Mia kept flying around, distracting the other keys.