LIV. THE KING OF THE SERPENTS

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

Mia stared at Riddle. There was something very funny going on here.

"I knew I had to talk to you, meet you if I could," Riddle went on. "So I decided to show you my capture of that brainless oaf Hagrid to gain your trust."

"Hagrid's my friend," Mia snapped, her eyes flashing red, "and you framed him, didn't you?"

"It was my word against Hagrid's," Riddle went on, "only Dumbledore seemed to think he was innocent." 

All the time he spoke, Riddle's eyes never left Mia's face. There was an almost hungry look in them.

"I'll bet Dumbledore saw right through you," Mia said, smirking.

"He certainly kept an annoyingly close watch on me after that," Riddle said with a tone of annoyance. 

He walked around Mia as he spoke to her.

"I knew it wouldn't be safe to open the Chamber again while I was still at school, so I decided to leave behind a diary, preserving my sixteen-year-old self in its pages, so that one day, I would be able to lead another, to finish Salazar Slytherin's noble work."

"Well, you haven't finished it this time," Mia said with a smug look, "in a few hours, the Mandrake draught will be ready. And everyone who was Petrified will be all right again."

"Haven't I told you?" Riddle asked as he laughed, a high, cold laugh that didn't suit him. 

It made the hairs stand up on the back of Mia's neck. 

"Killing Mudbloods doesn't matter to me anymore. For many months now, my new target has been you and your brother."

"Weirdo," Mia said.

"How is it that two babies one with extraordinary magical talent and one without was able to defeat the greatest wizard of all time? How did your brother escape with nothing but a scar and you escaped with magic more powerful than anything while Lord Voldemort's powers were destroyed?"

"Why do you care how we escaped?" Mia asked. "Voldemort was after your time." 

"Voldemort is my past, present, and future," Riddle said softly as Mia looked at him in disbelief. 

"Man you need to get out more," Mia muttered as Riddle pulled Mia's wand from his pocket and began to trace it through the air, writing three shimmering words:

TOM MARVOLO RIDDLE

Then he waved the wand once, and the letters of his name rearranged themselves:

I AM LORD VOLDEMORT

The letters started to fade as Mia looked at him. 

"It's you," she said, "you're the Heir of Slytherin. Holy shit, you're Voldemort."

"Surely, you didn't think I was going to keep my filthy Muggle father's name?" Riddle asked in disgust. "No. I fashioned myself a new name, a name I knew wizards everywhere would one day fear to speak when I became the greatest sorcerer in the world!"