V. DIAGON ALLEY

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

"All students must be equipped with one standard size two pewter cauldron and may bring if they desire either an owl, a cat or a toad," Harry said as he, Mia and Hagrid walked down the streets of London. Mia had her arms crossed as she walked between Hagrid and Harry.

"Could we find all this in London?" Mia asked as she looked up at Hagrid.

"If you know where to go," Hagrid said with a grin as Mia and Harry exchanged looks. 

"This is it," said Hagrid, coming to a halt, "the Leaky Cauldron. It's a famous place."

It was a tiny, grubby-looking pub. If Hagrid hadn't pointed it out, Mia wouldn't have noticed it was there. The people hurrying by didn't glance at it. Their eyes slid from the big book shop on one side to the record shop on the other as if they couldn't see the Leaky Cauldron at all. In fact, Mia had the most peculiar feeling that only she, Harry and Hagrid could see it. Before she could mention this, Hagrid had steered her and Harry inside.

For a famous place, it was very dark and shabby. A few old women were sitting in a corner, drinking tiny glasses of sherry. One of them was smoking a long pipe. A little man in a top hat was talking to the old bartender, who was quite bald and looked like a toothless walnut. The low buzz of chatter stopped when they walked in. Everyone seemed to know Hagrid, they waved and smiled at him.

"Ah, Hagrid!" Tom, the bartender called, "the usual, I presume?"

"No thanks, Tom," Hagrid said, "I'm on official Hogwarts business today. Just helping young Mia and Harry here buy their school supplies." 

He clapped his great hand on Mia and Harry's shoulder and making their knees buckle.

"Bless my soul," Tom said, staring at the twins, "It's Mia and Harry Potter." He hurried out from behind the bar, rushed toward Mia and Harry and seized their hands, tears in his eyes. "Welcome back, Mr and Miss. Potter, welcome back."

Mia didn't know what to say. Everyone was looking at her and Harry. The old woman with the pipe was puffing on it without realising it had gone out. Hagrid was beaming.

Then there was a great scraping of chairs and the next moment, Mia found herself shaking hands with everyone in the Leaky Cauldron. The ginger girl felt very overwhelmed as she had a nervous look on her face.

"Doris Crockford, Mr and Miss. Potter, can't believe I'm meeting you at last."

"So proud, Mr and Miss. Potter, I'm just so proud."

"Always wanted to shake your hand, I'm all of a flutter."

"Delighted, Mr and Miss. Potter, just can't tell you, Diggle's the name, Dedalus Diggle."

"I've seen you before!" said Mia glad to be distracted as Dedalus Diggle's top hat fell off in his excitement. "You bowed to me once in a shop."

"She remembers!" cried Dedalus Diggle, looking around at everyone. "Did you hear that? She remembers me!"