LXXIII. HOGSMEADE

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

The passage twisted and turned, more like the burrow of a giant rabbit than anything else. 

Mia and Harry hurried along it, stumbling now and then on the uneven floor, holding their wands out in front of them. It took ages, but Mia had the thought of Honeydukes to sustain her. After what felt like an hour, the passage began to rise. Panting, the twins sped up, their faces hot, their feet very cold.

Ten minutes later, they came to the foot of some worn stone steps, which rose out of sight above them. Careful not to make any noise, Mia and Harry began to climb. A hundred steps, two hundred steps, Mia lost count as she climbed, watching her feet. Then, without warning, Mia's head hit something hard. 

"Fuck!" she hissed as she looked up. It seemed to be a trapdoor. 

Mia stood there, massaging the top of her head, listening. She couldn't hear any sounds above him. Very slowly, she pushed the trapdoor open and peered over the edge. She was in a cellar, which was full of wooden crates and boxes. Mia and Harry climbed out of the trapdoor and replaced it, it blended so perfectly with the dusty floor that it was impossible to tell it was there. 

The twins crept slowly toward the wooden staircase that led upstairs. Now Mia could hear voices, not to mention the tinkle of a bell and the opening and shutting of a door. Wondering what she ought to do, she suddenly heard a door open much closer at hand; somebody was about to come downstairs.

"And get another box of Jelly Slugs, dear, they've nearly cleaned us out. . . ." said a woman's voice. 

A pair of feet was coming down the staircase. The twins looked at each other with wide eyes before they leapt behind an enormous crate and waited for the footsteps to pass. They heard the man shifting boxes against the opposite wall. They might not get another chance. 

Quickly and silently, Mia tugged on her brother's arm and the twins dodged out from her hiding place and climbed the stairs. Looking back, Mia saw an enormous backside and shiny bald-head, buried in a box. Mia and Harry reached the door at the top of the stairs, slipped through it, and found herself behind the counter of Honeydukes. They ducked, crept sideways, and then straightened up.

Honeydukes was so crowded with Hogwarts students that no one looked twice at Mia and Harry. They edged among them, looking around, and suppressed a laugh as he imagined the look that would spread over Dudley's piggy face if he could see where Mia and Harry were now. 

There were shelves upon shelves of the most succulent-looking sweets imaginable. Creamy chunks of nougat, shimmering pink squares of coconut ice, fat, honey-coloured toffees; hundreds of different kinds of chocolate in neat rows; there was a large barrel of Every Flavour Beans, and another of Fizzing Whizbees, the levitating sherbert balls that Ron had mentioned. Along yet another wall were "Special Effects" Sweets: Droobles Best Blowing Gum (which filled a room with bluebell-colored bubbles that refused to pop for days), the strange, splintery Toothflossing Stringmints, tiny black Pepper Imps ("breathe fire for your friends!"), Ice Mice ("Hear your teeth chatter and squeak!"), peppermint creams shaped like toads ("Hop realistically in the stomach!"), fragile sugar-spun quills, and exploding bonbons.