LXXV. REUNITED AGAIN

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

Mia didn't have a very clear idea of how she had managed to get back into the Honeydukes cellar, through the tunnel, and into the castle once more. All she knew was that the return trip seemed to take no time at all, and that she hardly noticed what she was doing, because her head was still pounding with the conversation she had just heard.

Why had nobody ever told her? Dumbledore, Hagrid, Mr. Weasley, Cornelius Fudge. . . . why hadn't anyone ever mentioned the fact that Mia and Harry's parents had died because their best friend had betrayed them?

Ron and Hermione watched Mia and Harry nervously all through dinner, not daring to talk about what they'd overheard because Percy was sitting close by them. 

When they went upstairs to the crowded common room, it was to find Fred and George had set off half a dozen Dungbombs in a fit of end-of-term high spirits. Mia, who didn't want Fred and George asking her whether she'd reached Hogsmeade or not, sneaked quietly up to the empty dormitory and headed straight for her bedside cabinet. She pushed her books aside and quickly found what she was looking for. The leather-bound photo album Hagrid had given her two years ago, which was full of wizard pictures of her mother and father. She sat down on her bed, drew the hangings around her, and started turning the pages, searching, until. . . .

She stopped on a picture of his parents' wedding day. There was his father waving up at her, beaming, the untidy black hair Harry had inherited standing up in all directions. There was her mother, alight with happiness, the same warm smile Mia had inherited, arm in arm with her dad. And there. . . that must be him. Their best man. . . Mia had never given him a thought before and next to him was Lupin.

Mia's eyes glowed red as she slammed the album shut, reached over and stuffed it back into her cabinet, put on her shoes and stormed out of the dormitory. 

"Mia?" Hermione asked as she walked past them in the common room. Mia said nothing as she left the Gryffindor Common room and made her way towards Lupin's office, her eyes glowing red as red sparks appeared at her fingertips.

She didn't bother knocking, she flicked the door open with the red energy and Lupin looked up surprised.

"Mia," he said.

"You knew exactly who I was this whole time?" she asked, her voice shaking as her eyes flashed red. "You knew my parents, they made you my god-father and you didn't tell me?" Lupin sighed.

"Sit down," he said as she shook her head.

"No," she said, "you knew, but you didn't want me? You left me with that family. . . ."

"Mia, sit down," Lupin said firmly. Mia carried on talking. 

". . . .did you even care? Do you even care?"

"Euphemia!" he said as Mia stopped talking, her eyes went back to blue and looked at him. "Sit down and let me explain." 

Mia groaned in frustration as she sat down, her arms crossed with a sour look on her face.