L. ARAGOG

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

With Fang scampering around them, sniffing tree roots and leaves, they entered the forest. By the glow of Mia and Harry's wand, they followed the steady trickle of spiders moving along the path. They walked behind them for about twenty minutes, not speaking, listening hard for noises other than breaking twigs and rustling leaves. Then, when the trees had become thicker than ever, so that the stars overhead were no longer visible, and Mia and Harry's wand shone alone in the sea of dark, they saw their spider guides leaving the path.

Mia and Harry paused, trying to see where the spiders were going, but everything outside their little sphere of light was pitch black. Mia had never been this deep into the forest before. She could vividly remember Hagrid advising her not to leave the forest path last time she'd been in here. But Hagrid was miles away now, probably sitting in a cell in Azkaban, and he had also said to follow the spiders.

"What d'you reckon?" Mia said to Ron, whose eyes she could just make out, reflecting the light from her wand.

"We've come this far," said Ron.

"You'd face spiders to try and save Hermione?" she asked as Ron looked at her.

"I want her to be okay," he said as Mia smiled.

"Then lets go make sure she's okay," Mia said as she and Ron exchanged looks and carried on walking.

So they followed the darting shadows of the spiders into the trees. They couldn't move very quickly now. There were tree roots and stumps in their way, barely visible in the near blackness. Mia could feel Fang's hot breath on her hand. More than once, they had to stop, so that Mia could crouch down and find the spiders in the wand-light.

They walked for what seemed like at least half an hour, their robes snagging on low slung branches and brambles. After a while, they noticed that the ground seemed to be sloping downward, though the trees were as thick as ever.

"This way," Mia said as more spiders began scuttling ahead of them. The trio looked at each other and walked underneath a fallen tree trunk. Nobody noticed the giant spider crawling over the tree trunk behind them. 

As they kept walking further into the forest, the spiders seemed to be getting bigger. Not tiny spiders like those surging over the leaves below. Spiders the size of carthorses, eight eyed, eight legged, black, hairy, gigantic. Mia lead the boys into the forest, but came to a sudden stop when she approached a giant hole in the ground. Harry and Ron walked into her, and were about to ask her why she stopped when they heard a voice. 

"Who is it? Hagrid?"

"We're friends of Hagrid," Mia called, her voice slightly shaky.