XXII. THROUGH THE TRAPDOOR

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

After dinner, the four of them sat nervously apart in the common room. Hermione was skimming through all her notes, hoping to come across one of the enchantments they were about to try and break. Mia, Harry and Ron didn't talk much. All three of them were thinking about what they were about to do. Slowly, the room emptied as people drifted off to bed. 

"Better get the Cloak," Ron muttered, as Lee Jordan finally left, stretching and yawning. Mia ran upstairs to their dark dormitory. She pulled out the Cloak and then her eyes fell on the flute Hagrid had given her for Christmas. She pocketed it to use on Fluffy, she didn't feel much like singing. She ran back down to the common room. 

"We'd better put the Cloak on here, and make sure it covers all four of us," Mia said, "if Filch spots one of our feet wandering along on its own. . . ."

"What are you doing?" said a voice from the corner of the room. Neville appeared from behind an armchair, clutching Trevor the toad, who looked as though he'd been making another bid for freedom. 

"Nothing, Neville, nothing," said Mia, hurriedly putting the Cloak behind her back. Neville stared at their guilty faces. 

"You're going out again," he said. 

"No, no, no," said Hermione. "No, we're not. Why don't you go to bed, Neville?" 

Mia looked at the grandfather clock by the door. They couldn't afford to waste any more time, Snape might even now be playing Fluffy to sleep.

"You can't go out," said Neville, "you'll be caught again. Gryffindor will be in even more trouble. I-I'll fight you."

"Do something," Mia hissed to Hermione. Hermione stepped forward.

"Neville," she said, "I'm really, really sorry about this." She raised her wand. "Petrificus Totalus!" she cried, pointing it at Neville. Neville's arms snapped to his sides. His legs sprang together. His whole body rigid, he swayed where he stood and then fell flat on his back, stiff as a board.

"You're a little scary sometimes, you know that?" Ron asked as Hermione put her wand away, "brilliant, but scary."

"Let's go," Mia said as she walked past Neville. "Sorry."

"Sorry," Harry added.

"Sorry," Hermione said, walking past.

"It's for your own good, you know," Ron said before following the others out of the common room. 

But leaving Neville lying motionless on the floor didn't feel like a very good omen. In their nervous state, every statue's shadow looked like Filch, every distant breath of wind sounded like Peeves swooping down on them. At the foot of the first set of stairs, they spotted Mrs Norris skulking near the top. 

"Oh, let's kick her, just this once," Ron whispered in Mia's ear, and while Mia beamed and a small energy ball appeared at her fingertips, Harry sen his sister a look and shook his head. As they climbed carefully around her, Mrs Norris turned her lamp-like eyes on them, but didn't do anything. They didn't meet anyone else until they were outside the third-floor corridor, and the door was already ajar.