LXXXII. PETER PETTIGREW

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

He was a very short man, hardly taller than Harry and Hermione. 

His thin, colourless hair was unkempt and there was a large bald patch on top. He had the shrunken appearance of a plump man who has lost a lot of weight in a short time. His skin looked grubby, almost like Scabbers's fur, and something of the rat lingered around his pointed nose and his very small, watery eyes. He looked around at them all, his breathing fast and shallow. Mia saw his eyes dart to the door and back again. 

"Well, hello, Peter," said Lupin pleasantly, as though rats frequently erupted into old school friends around him. "Long time, no see."

"S-Sirius. . . R-Remus. . . ." Even Pettigrew's voice was squeaky. Again, his eyes darted toward the door. "My friends. . . my old friends. . . ." 

Mia and Harry exchanged looks. 

"He's come to try and kill me again!" Pettigrew squeaked suddenly, pointing at Black, and Harry saw that he used his middle finger, because his index was missing. "He killed Lily and James and now he's going to kill me too. . . . You've got to help me, Remus. . . ."

Black's face looked more skull-like than ever as he stared at Pettigrew with his fathomless eyes.

"No one's going to try and kill you until we've sorted a few things out," said Lupin.

"Sorted things out?" squealed Pettigrew, looking wildly about him once more, eyes taking in the boarded windows and, again, the only door. "I knew he'd come after me! I knew he'd be back for me! I've been waiting for this for twelve years!" 

He shuffled forward on his knees, grovelling, his hands clasped in front of him as though praying. 

"Sirius, it's me. . . it's Peter. . . your friend. . . you wouldn't. . . ."

Black kicked out and Pettigrew recoiled.

"There's enough filth on my robes without you touching them," said Black. Mia snorted, alerting the attention of Pettigrew.

"Dear sweet Mia," he said, shuffling towards her, "you look exactly like your m-mother! She was the kindest woman alive. . . . she would never let anyone hurt me! You are the spitting image of Lily." Mia stumbled back into her brother's arms as he had a protective grip on her.

"HOW DARE YOU SPEAK TO MIA?" roared Lupin. "HOW DARE YOU FACE HER? HOW DARE YOU TALK ABOUT LILY IN FRONT OF HER?"

"Mia, Lily and James wouldn't have wanted me killed. . . . Lily would have understood, Mia. . . . she would have shown me mercy. . . ."

"I'm not my mother," Mia said, her voice shaky as a red energy ball appeared at her hand, "I won't show you mercy." 

He whimpered like a little child and slowly turned to Mia.