XXVII. FLYING CARS AND FRECKLED FACES

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

The following morning, Uncle Vernon paid a man to fit bars on Mia and Harry's windows. He himself fitted a cat flap in the bedroom door, so that small amounts of food could be pushed inside three times a day. They let Mia and Harry out to use the bathroom morning and evening. Otherwise, they were locked in their room around the clock. 

Dobby might have saved Mia and Harry from horrible happenings at Hogwarts, but the way things were going, they'd probably starve to death anyway. The cat-flap rattled and Aunt Petunia's hand appeared, pushing two bowls of canned soup into the room. 

Mia, whose insides were aching with hunger, jumped off her bed and seized it. The soup was stone-cold, but she drank half of it in one gulp with Mia following suite. Then she crossed the room to Prongs' cage and tipped the soggy vegetables at the bottom of the bowl into his empty food tray and Harry did the same to Hedwig. The two owls ruffled their feathers and gave the a look of deep disgust. 

 "It's no good turning your beak up at it, that's all we've got," said Harry grimly. They put the empty bowl back on the floor next to the cat-flap and Harry lay back down on the bed while Mia sat at the desk and got her notebook out. 

Supposing she was still alive in another four weeks, what would happen if she didn't turn up at Hogwarts? Would someone be sent to see why she and Harry hadn't come back? Would they be able to make the Dursleys let them go? 

The room was growing dark. While Harry fell asleep, Mia stayed awake. She turned on their lamp and began reading Little Women while attempting to perfect her powers. She was leaning back in her chair, her left fingers were glowing red as the book was floating in the air at eye level.

As she got half-way through the book, she noticed a light flickering in her eyes. Looking up, she saw what she thought was a bright star, yet it was getting closer and brighter. 

"The fuck?" she asked, looking at it. 

It was getting closer and closer, and brighter and brighter until it got close enough and Mia let out a laugh. Moonlight was shining through the bars on the window. And someone was goggling through the bars at her. A freckle-faced, red-haired, long-nosed someone.

"Fancy seeing you here," she laughed as she used the energy to put the book down without looking.

"What the bloody hell happened here?"

Ron Weasley was outside her bedroom window. Ron was leaning out of the back window of an old turquoise car, which was parked in midair. Grinning at Mia from the front seats were Fred and George, Ron's elder twin brothers.

"Long story," she said, grabbing a pillow and hitting Harry with it.

"Stop it," Harry muttered as Mia kept hitting him with a pillow. "Leave me alone. . . . cut it out. . . . I'm trying to sleep. . . ."