26. Mind

[Hunter's POV]

After the ground swallowed us whole, we found ourself in a dark corridor. Edric places me down and he looks at me worried.

"Hunty, are you hurt??" He asks me and seems to check me for any injuries. After a while he places down Luz' jacket around my shoulder still looking at me worried, even though I can't really concentrate on him, since I saw something else.

"No...not yet..." I mumble and he looks at me confused and then follows my glance. He sees me, but as a child, holding a pillow in my hands.

"Naw, you looked so cute as a child..." I turn around, away from my past self. Edric looks at me confused when we both hear a voice scream.

"Wait, I know that voice..." Says Edric, he stands beside my child self and looks towards that voice.

I turned away from that scene, covering my ears with my hands, just staring at the wall.

I don't know how Edric reacted to that scene. And I'm glad I didn't see it.

However, once I hear my own voice scream again, the scar on my face starts to hurt terriblely again. I press my hands on my cheek, holding back my tears when I feel two arms sling around me from behind.

"Pssst...it's okay, Hunty..." I hear Edric voice say. "Breath." He says and starts to take deep breaths.

I follow his instruction and after a while I've calmed down, breathing along with him. The scar on my cheek also stopped to hurt.

"That was..." I mumble quietly and Edric looks up suprised. "The first time I was confronted with his curse." Edric walks around me to look at my face while I just keep staring at the ground. "The first..." The scene starts to disappear and many different other scene reappear, switching from one to another. "...and not the last".

We see each and every time Belos' Curse acted out, each and every time I tried to help him and almost or eventually got hurt. Until we arrive at the last time which happend only a couple weeks ago.

The time we were in the dark throne room and he impaled my back with his claws. Edric watched that scene in horror, after a while he walks back to me and I feel his hand on my back, lifting my shirt. On my back he finds scars over scars, old ones and the newest ones. They are the most present ones on my back.

I feel Edric gently stroke over those scars and he pulls down my shirt again. "Why would you even stick up to him if he did all of this to you? He only abused you." I hear him say, seriously.

"You don't understand...it was always his curse that did this. His curse hurt me." I mumble, hugging myself a little. "But now...I don't even know...what I am..." I say quietly before looking back to Edric. "I was...created...based on some person in uncle's past and to be sacrificed on the Day of Unity...if I'm a Grimwalker, and not even half a witch..." I mumble and tears form in my eyes as I just look at Edric. "Then what or who am I...?"

Edric looks at me, overwhelmed and at a loss of words. Just when he wants to say something's everything starts to shake and we both look up.

"O-Oh gosh, Luz is still up there!!" I say and I take a short look at her jacket. I grab into the pockets and I find some of her glyphs. I grab Edric's hand and pull him to me.

"Hold on, we're gonna get out of here!!" I yell and he wraps his arms around me. I take a short look at the glyph before tapping it and a wall of plants starts to grow up through the ceiling. I hold onto a plant and the wall pulls me along with Edric through the ceiling. It looks like we came just in time, we stopped an attack with that plant wall, that was about to hit Luz.

"Hunter, Edric!!" Yells Luz and we both jump down. She grabs some glyphs out of my pocket and she looks at us seriously. "Come on, let's get out of here!" We both nod and Luz runs ahead, Edric grabs my hand we follow her. She creates a hole in the plant wall and she jumps through, we follow afterwards.

We run past my uncle, he is back to his normal form and our eyes met. He looks at me, sadly, watching as I run past him with tears in my eyes.

"I'm sorry, Hatchling..." I hear him say and I just keep following Edric, tears dripping down from my face.

The three of us drop down beside the rabbit walkie-talkie. Luz yells into it, telling Eda to get us out of here.

For a brief moment everything gets bright and the next moment the three of us reappear in the Owl House.

"Wait, don't crowd them!!" Says Eda, stopping anyone from coming close to us. "Kids, are you alright."

Luz sits up and she looks at Eda with a disturbed glare. Edric helps me to sit up and he just looks at me worried as I just stare at the ground.

That's when someone kneels down in front of us. It's Darius. I look at him surprised.

"D-Darius, what are you...?" I ask shocked when I also see Eber and Raine.

"We'll explain it later." Says Darius and he looks me seriously. "Hunter, what happened?" He asks as he wipes away a tear from my cheek.

That's when I loose it.

It was too much.

More tears roll down my cheeks and I sob loudly, Darius pulls me into a hug, stroking over my head.

"It's okay, Little Prince. It's okay..." he whispers, just hugging and comforting me while everybody else looks at us worried.

"Luz." Eda takes a short look at Raine before looking back to Luz. "What did you see?"

Luz takes a short look at me and Darius, then at Edric before looking back to Eda.