Didn't They Tell You?

"Wow..."

I turned to Shanks as I grabbed a water bottle from the fridge. I took a sip and smiled at his frozen state. He looked like he was malfunctioning as I slipped my phone into a small black bag I had from an old job.

"You alright, Shanks?" I asked, waving my hand in front of his face.

He shook his head and refocused. "Yeah, you're just so... grown up now. I knew you were but I guess seeing you all," he gestured to my form, "really let it set in!" he explained, almost conflicted.

"I'm still me, dork, I just look like I'm about to go to Homecoming. Which," I checked the clock on the stove, "I'll be late to if I don't get my ass out the door." I gave him a kiss on the cheek and walked past him.

He gently grabbed my arm, stopping me in my tracks. "I'm chaperoning, let me drive you," he offered. I nodded and let him lead the way. "You excited to be re-crowned?" he jokingly asked.

I let out a sarcastic laugh as I slid into the passenger's seat. "Oh hell no, was me getting thrown in front of the whole school and our rivals not enough?" I joked back. "Did you lock the door?"

"Yeah, no worries," he assured. I shook off the mild unease I felt and let Shanks pull out of the driveway. "Who do you plan on dancing with?"

I rolled my eyes. "Do I have to? Can't I just sit by the snack table and look pretty?"

"I'll be damned if I let that happen. I guess I get first dance dibs, then," he teased.

"Sure, sure," I giggled.

We rolled up to the school a few minutes later, the sky already a deep, muted orange. Shanks was quick to open my door, helping me get out of the low car. Some students stared as they walked into the school so I was certain there would be more rumors about me come Monday.

"I'm gonna go park, but save that first dance for me!" He chimed as he walked back to the driver's side. I nodded and waved to him as he drove away to the lot.

I slipped into the school and walked to the gym where the dance was set up. As I got closer I could hear the middle of Heat Waves blasting through the walls. As I opened the door I could feel the bass vibrating in my chest.

"Sometimes all I think about is you, late nights in the middle of June..."

I went over too the punch bowl and grabbed a cup, taking a sip. The cherry was glaringly overpowering but nothing I didn't expect. None of my friends had made it yet so I just hugged the wall and drank.

"Late nights in the middle of June, heat waves been fakin' me out, heat waves been fakin' me out..."

The music silenced for a moment before my entire body shook from the returning bass. I sighed and leaned into the music.

If only I knew someone here.

I opened my eyes as the song changed to one I didn't know. It was upbeat and peppy, which was something the party needed. I zoned out to feel the little bumps of guitar and the drums reverberating from the wall. The song ended before I knew it and it was another happier one. I think it was by OneRepublic?

I fiddled with the strap on my bag before a hand rested on my shoulder. I turned to make eye contact with Penguin. For once his iconic hat was gone and his dark brown hair was on display. He gestured to the doors so I guessed he wanted to talk for a second.

I followed him out before asking, "What's up?"

"Just figured you would want this back," he joked as he held up the crown I basically threw at him earlier. "Come here."