Part 5: Too good too pure

On the way home that afternoon, my mind was filled with what just happened. 

After the most embarrassing moment ever (blurted out my idiotic thoughts to Haise), I had to explain why I called him 'cinnamon bun'. 

Since my brain was too numb due to limitless stupidity, I ended up having to google on my phone, 'beautiful cinnamon roll too good too pure for this world' and showed the meme to him. 

That was just like pouring salt into injury because he then giggled and asked, "Am I too good and too pure?" [A/N: YES YES YOU ARE, HAISE! ALL OF US IN THE FANDOM THINKS SO] 

I was just standing there with a face redder than a kakugan, not knowing what to say. 

"U-uh, did you say that you wanted me to help with a health article?" I changed the topic quickly. 

"Oh yes, but I'm so sorry, I forgot to bring the paper today! I actually came to tell you that, and ask if we can do it next time you're free?" 

A-another d-date? Okay I know it's not a date, but still! He's asking if we could meet again! What had I done in the past to deserve this good karma? Probably when I fed a stray dog when I was five years old? No, I ended up making it threw up because I accidentally fed it onions. Thanks to that experience, I had caught a phobia of onions...

"Miss...?" Haise called my name because I didn't say anything. 

"I don't like onions!" I cried out by reflex. 

"Y-yes? I won't feed you it?"

"Aaaa no I mean, I'd be happy to see your—to see you again!" 

Haise laughed, "You're such a fun person." 

After he left, I had to stand under the air conditioner for a while to get rid of the hotness in my face. And my sweaty palms.

So those happened. 

I reflected on how everything was going so fast. Yesterday I saw this person for the first time and today I already found out that he's also a ghoul. Hell, I even witnessed a regeneration process! I could fangirl over that alone. 

But he's not just a pretty face. He's very polite and I suspected that he's a very smart person. He's also very cool when the situation got messy, like today. When an unknown creature suddenly appeared, he acted very quickly. In a flash of moment, he protected me while catching the monster with bare hand. That was kinda dreamy.

On top of all that, he's very humble, even too much. He seemed to think that he's less good than normal people because of who he was. This made me really want to protect him. And stroke his slightly wavy hair. While whispering sweet nothings to his ear. 

I forgot that I was in the bus and missed one stop because of my daydreaming. 

I got off the bus and strolled towards my apartment complex. There was a small convenience store just outside the building; I saw someone familiar coming out from the shop.

"Hey, good thing you're home safe and sound," Sougo said with indifferent face. He walked with me.

"What do you mean?"

"I don't trust that Sasaki guy. Didn't your parents teach you not to hang out with dangerous people?"

Well he's not wrong; Haise could be dangerous. But I never thought that he would harm anyone. Then again, I just met him yesterday. Sougo was quite an observant type and he's bright too. He could have known more than I do since he'd been in Haise's class for a period of time. 

"Why do you think that he's dangerous? Do you know something?"

"No, just gut feeling..."

We reached the apartment lobby; he lived a floor above me. As we waited for the elevator, I contemplated if I should trust his gut feeling.

"See you later then," he said. "I'm off to play with Light-kun."

"Sougo..." I asked seriously, "You have friends?"

"Yeah, Yagami Light-kun. He's a fun guy, we talk about killing criminals and stuff. And shinigami, you know, the god of death. Apparently they like apples?"

Sougo... You're the one who hang out with dangerous people... Why didn't your gut feeling tell you that your mate Light-kun could be a mass murderer?