Part 50: Realization

I clung on Haise's shoulders. It's Sunday but we're stuck in his room.

"Baby~" I brushed through his hair with my nose. It tickled after a while and I sneezed.

"What are you doing..." Haise asked softly, not leaving his sight on what he's doing. He had sat on his working desk for hours, busy inputting marks into students' files.

"Don't you need some rest?" I massaged his tense shoulders.

"Umm..." He still didn't really pay attention to me.

Haise was such a workaholic. He never did things halfheartedly in his work. I really admired this side of him. Although, it made me worry sometimes when he tried too hard.

I kissed the top of his head and went to the kitchen. I came back with a cup of coffee for him.

"Don't overwork yourself, okay?" I rubbed his cheek with the back of my hand. "Tell me when you want a break, I'll massage your back."

This made him pause his activity; he turned to me and wrapped his arms around my waist.

"Thank you for being so wonderful." He formed a smile on his tired-looking face.

My heart just melted.

"I'm taking a break," he got up and pulled me to the bed. "Actually, I'm taking a nap right here."

He made me lie on my back and told me not to move. Then he lay next to me and wrapped his arms and leg on me.

"You're my body pillow now," Haise yawned. "Oyasumi."

Before I could process what's happening, he already fell asleep.

---

Monday morning.

I met Sougo outside the apartment complex and we walked to the bus stop together.

"Do you like Mii-chan?" This is how I started the day: by teasing a high-school-brat.

Sougo didn't react to this.

"You do~"

"She's insane," he gave a short reply.

"Yeah, but in a good way, right?"

"This is freaking weird. Can we talk about something else?" Sougo seemed uncomfortable.

"Oh, okay... Hm... Are you dating Light-kun?"

Sougo sighed, "Or we can just walk in silence."

I agreed. I needed some quiet time to figure out if I shipped Sougo with Mii-chan or with Light.

One is an inappropriate adult (sort of), and one is Light Yagami. But then again, Sougo is Sougo. These two are probably still too good for him...

---

I would start teaching tomorrow, so I spent the day briefing through the materials.

I was only assigned to the first years. This meant that I wouldn't teach the familiar faces; Noya-san, Chiyo and her friends were second years, while Sougo and Light were the ultimate seniors in their final year.

"Whatcha doin'?" someone peeked through my shoulders to examine the books and papers on my desk.

"Shin! You surprised me!" I hit his arm lightly with a ruler. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to say goodbye," the shinigami smiled.

"What? Why? Where are you going?"

"I'm not going anywhere, I'm still your guardian spirit after all..." He patted my head. "It's just- unnatural to show myself to people. Shinigami or guardian spirit, whatever it is, we're supposed to be invisible-"