Part 6: School trip

For the next few days, nothing major happened. All the staff were busy due to it being exams period. Since I wasn't an actual teacher, I didn't get much chance to meet other teachers - that means Haise. I spent my time in the infirmary and went home right after work.

Then I heard that there's going to be a field trip next week. And I would participate too as the health committee! It said "committee", but I suspected that there wouldn't be anyone else since I was the only one in this school responsible for the first aid cases.

I was wrong.

On the D-day, all the trip participants were supposed to meet up at school, and by 7am we would get into the buses and start our journey.

At 6.50am, someone patted me on the shoulder. I turned back, the sun was in my eyes, but Haise's smile was far brighter.

"H-hi!" It's been a while since I last talked to him so I felt awkward again.

"Morning! How have you been?" Haise was still wearing that charming smile.

"Good, and you? I thought only homeroom teachers are coming to this trip?"

"You don't want me to come? I... I'll go home then..." He pretended to wipe a tear from his eye.

"No no no, I meant..."

He made a small laugh, "I was asked to be in the health committee since you're the only one taking care of it."

We are in a team?? Only the two of us... Playing doctor... In a hot spring bath setting... Oh no I can taste blood inside my nose. Please don't nosebleed here. Nose, I won't think of naughty things again. I beg you, don't bleed right now.

"Hey you two," Ginpachi-sensei appeared out of nowhere. "Why are you wearing such serious looking clothes? Did nobody tell you that we could dress casual for this trip?"

Now that I noticed, Haise was wearing his usual long sleeved shirt and formal pants. And I also had my personal uniform on. Plus, I stupidly brought my white lab coat because Sougo told me it was required. I made a note to pull his hair off when I saw him next.

Haise looked embarrassed, especially after several more teachers came over and commented on his outfit. Some even included me. "Ready for your business trip?" "Good luck on your interview!" "Formal couple of the trip" etc.

"Let's quickly get into the bus and hide at the very back seat," Haise suggested, so we wouldn't get teased more.

I never expected that this trip involved sitting next to your crush for more than three hours. Since I was nervous, I put on my headset and pretended to be occupied with my phone. He had offered me the window seat but I accidentally said no. (Why? I don't know either! You cannot explain stupidity)

So there he was. Reading a book, leaning his head on the window, while his right hand rested on his cheek. The moving scenery outside the window and the glimpse of early morning sun had served to make Sasaki Haise look even more picturesque.

He caught me staring at him. Rather than questioning me about it, he stared back.

"You look beautiful," he said.

Unsure if he directed those words for me, I turned my head behind me to see if there's another person he was complimenting. He giggled at this, calling my name and stating, "I meant you." Then he broke this coolness by being a bit shy of his own statement. He rubbed the back of his head, avoiding eye contact with me and muttered, "Sorry to suddenly say that, I hope I don't make you feel uncomfortable."

How could someone be so adorable, or rather, adorkable?? I nearly squeezed him because I couldn't contain the cuteness.

"Not at all! I... I don't have many friends, so I'm sorry if I react funny during conversation and such..." I covered my face with my hands, pretending to be embarrassed about it but actually I was hiding my bright red face after the 'you are beautiful' thing.

"Then... Can I be your friend?" he asked.

You can even be my waifu*! - was what I wanted to reply. But I had to keep it cool or I might scare him off. It's like approaching a small animal. Act like you're not a predator.

*A/N: for those who haven't been consumed by anime, 'waifu' means 'wife' in otaku talk

So there I was, third time into meeting the charming Sasaki Haise (after finding out he's a half-ghoul on our second encounter), I was officially his friend!

For the rest of the bus journey, I looked up on my mobile dictionary what 'being friends' entailed. But I couldn't really concentrate because Haise was sitting just next to me, and whenever he moved, I could feel the air moving, which brought his scent to me, and gosh he smelled really nice!

... I should not wonder how he tasted like...