Part 20: Unexpected development

The charming man was standing in front of my hotel room door.

"Sorry to bother you this late," he said. "I brought you something."

He lifted a paper bag to show me the thing he talked about.

"Y-yes?" I was still puzzled. "Er, come in." I invited him to enter my room, while being nervous of doing so.

"I don't know what you like," Haise said while taking out stuff from the paper bag, "so I got some selections..."

He brought me food!

There were meat and vegetarian sandwiches, an apple, a banana, fruit juices, and--

"I got this coffee flavored pastry," Haise explained, "since you said you liked them."

That was mentioned like 18 chapters ago! And he still remembered... I felt like a flower was blooming in my chest.

"Oh wow, thank you..." I was rather speechless. "This... is so much food..."

"You don't have to eat it all," Haise brushed the back of his head, "I just... want to make sure you get proper dinner, since..."

I hugged him.

I wasn't planning on it, my body just moved. This poor guy still felt guilty and he's worried about me. I thought of him purposedly going out to find things that I might like and would be good for me. While the one who had the hardest time coping with human's lifestyle was him.

"...?" Haise said my name in confusion.

"I worry more about you, you know," I said, burying my face on his shoulder. I breathed in his scent - it doesn't take a ghoul to tell that this person does have a very nice smell.

Haise froze for a second, then placed his arms around me. His lips were next to my face, he whispered my name in my ear, saying

"If we continue doing this, I won't be able to hold back."

Eh?

I lifted my head to see his expression, wondering if he's only joking.

But he was serious. I followed his eyes and realized that he's looking at the area between my neck and chest, which was exposed... It dawned on me that I forgot to tidy myself up before opening the door, thinking it was only Sougo. My yukata must have been loose since I was daydreaming...

Embarrassed, I covered up my skin by reflex. Haise blinked and, as though he just sobered up, apologized, "Sorry, I was... I... I think I'd better go back to my room."

He left.

Wait.

What just happened??

---

Morning came. I couldn't sleep at all last night.

The more I thought about it, the more my memory went fuzzy and in summary, I still didn't know what exactly happened the night before.

I vaguely recalled Haise saying 'won't be able to hold back'. Hold back what though? He also looked at my boobs--wait, no he didn't. Not even my cleavage was showing. It's only my neck and upper chest and shoulders...

Aaaah I can't figure it out! Was he going to "eat" me or was he going to eat me??

[Maybe both... No, that is sick! Delete this. Sorry Haise.]

I was so out of my mind, I ate a banana and laid sleepless on my bed.

Now it's time to go home. Everyone was out at the parking lot, preparing to get into the buses. The sun was so bright, I could barely open my tired eyes.

I didn't search for Haise, my face looked awful and I was too tired to deal with the possible awkwardness.

Half-conscious, I climbed into a random bus and aimed for the seat at the very back. I had intended to sleep in the corner and just rest my head on the hard window glass.

But Sougo was already sitting at that spot.

"Cool, free pillow," I muttered, then proceed to sit next to him, adjusted his position for a bit, put on my eyemask, and rested my head on his arm. "Oyasumi," I said as I yawned.

"Oyasumi my ass," Sougo remarked. "Don't just casually use people as a pillow!"

I ignored him and immediately went into dreamland.

---

"Wake up, we've arrived," Sougo grabbed the top of my head, "And you freaking drooled all over me."

"Carry me home..." I was half-awake.

"We're still at school," Sougo tried to wipe the traces of my drool on his clothes back to my face. "Just get up already. Why are you so sleepy anyway?"

That question reminded me of last night. Thinking of Haise gave me some extra consciousness. I got up, made sure I looked okay, and got off the bus.

Haise greeted me just when I touched the ground.

"H-hi," I tried to be as normal as possible.

"Can I talk to you in private?" he asked.

You want to talk to my what??
Wait, I must have misheard.

"Uh yeah." I turned to Sougo and asked him to wait for me, since we're going home together. He just rolled his eyes but agreed.

I walked with Haise to a quieter place. He looked nervous too.

"I, uh, sorry about last night," he finally spoke. "I hope I didn't offend you..."

No, you need to work more on your offense, Haise, I will definitely let you score! - I tried very hard not to say this.

"Oh don't worry," I looked away. This was very uncomfortable. "Thanks for the food, by the way."

Haise smiled, "Talking about food, I'm going to get mine tonight."

"Oh?" My eyes widened. "You promised to bring me along!"

"So I did."

"Do I need to bring any weapon? Or wear a mask?" I asked excitedly.

"We're not committing any crime."

"Will you at least fight someone?"

"... Maybe?"

"And eat them?"

"No!"

"Will you eat me?" I said jokingly.

Haise changed his expression, then moved closer to me. He grabbed my hand and locked it over my head to the wall behind me, whispering:

"Do you want me to eat you?"

S-seme Haise!