Part 31: Gossips

When Haise woke up an hour later, he didn't seem to know what happened. He just apologized for falling asleep on me and the movie, saying that he liked his hair being stroked and it made him drowsy.

I didn't tell him anything so he wouldn't panic... But I had a suspicion of what's going on. Although, it could only be my imagination and Haise was just too tired or was dreaming. That's why he couldn't remember that incident.

I decided to play it cool. It's the beginning of a relationship after all, so it should be filled with cute moments and don't-worry-be-happy attitudes.

And so we did. We had dates, we took walks to parks, went to cinemas, bookstores... I picked up a hobby of suggesting weird martial arts guides to Haise, like how to fight a shark underwater or ways to immobilize malfunctioning fighter robots. I enjoyed his annoyance every once in a while.

Just like that, another week passed. It's all quite peaceful. Things were fine at school too. I wondered if the Haise's fanclub thing was just a rumor...

When Sougo visited the infirmary to skip class, I asked him about it.

"Yeah that's a real thing. Those bunch of girls are obsessed," he confirmed it.

"Are you sure?" I kicked him off the bed when he tried to lie down.

"Um, one of my friends is dating a girl who used to idolize Sasaki." The brown-haired brat succeeded to resume his sleeping position this time.

"How??" I tried to roll him off the bed but he's too strong.

"Hmm... The guy had a crush on her anyway. Then these fanclub members came to him and upgraded him. Long story short, the girl accepted my friend and they dated."

"Upgraded? Like, giving him advice on relationships?" Surely it couldn't be about his software. Wait, in a way, it's comparable to that. Upgrading his software as in his inner beauty and stuff.

"Yeah but also hardware too."

"How did you read my mind..."

"They just dolled him up. He's not, like, an ugly character from the first place. He just didn't know how to take care of his appearance. Most boys are like that."

"Said by a metrosexual guy with anime hair and meticulously trimmed eyebrows," I mocked Sougo.

"Hey," he protested with a flat tone. "I am born pretty. Also, these eyebrows are never trimmed."

"You're joking!" His eyebrows were really enviable. There's no way those were natural.

"Check it out yourself!" He brushed his bangs back and held them with his hand, showing me his perfectly lined eyebrows.

So I did what a girl would so. I tried to pluck some of it with my fingers. Out of jealousy. I did it as a representative of all people with uncontrollable hair growth.

"Ow! F*ck, why would you do that!" He rubbed the place I attacked. It seemed to hurt more for him because he's never experienced that kind of pain in that place before. Unlike some of us who had to tidy up here and there. I smirked in satisfaction.

"Sorry... It just happened..." I said to this brat.

"You don't sound sorry at all! No wonder you don't have friends."

I gasped. "That one was brutal."

"I'm not apologizing until you feel sorry for what you've done."