Part 22: Striped pants

"Walk closer to me," Haise put his arm around my shoulders, tugging me to his side.

If this was a normal shoujo manga, the girl would be like 'max doki-doki' - heart beating like crazy.

Well, for me, this was double max doki-doki because (1) my crush wanted to be close to me, and (2) we're walking through a shady alley where hungry ghouls roam and we're their food...

Also (3) we're carrying human flesh and we didn't want them to steal it, cause like, Haise paid for it. We bought it in a store. And it's his food. He needed to eat too, he's precious.

I peeked at Haise's face, trying to scan his emotion. To my surprise, he didn't look nervous or scared at all. He seemed calm, but also focused. I supposed he's being cautious in case we're attacked.

Right when we're about to exit the alleyway, two ghouls came charging at us.

"Tasty smellsss," one of them shouted while jumping towards our direction.

With a very swift movement, Haise kicked one ghoul's face to the wall. He was knocked unconscious immediately. Almost at the same time, the Japanese literature teacher punched the other ghoul in the stomach. This one, too, was left motionless on the ground.

I was both astonished and impressed of Haise's godlike reflex and strength. He didn't even need to use his kagune.

"N-nice kill," I said.

"... Did you learn that term from online gaming?" Haise responded to my dorky comment.

"No, from sports anime."

Haise just smiled and patted my head, didn't say anything.

We're about to reach the car when Haise's phone rang.

"Hello?"

I could hear someone from the other line shouted merrily, "Haiseeeeee~"

"Oh, Juuzou?" Haise's face lighted up. "What's up?"

They talked for a while; during which, Haise took a glance at me every now and then. It made me kinda nervous...

I was about to open the car door to my seat, while Haise walked to the other side of the car. All of a sudden, I felt something was approaching me from my behind. When I turned around, I realized that it was a wild ghoul's kagune - probably trying to catch me with it.

But it didn't have the chance to. Another pair of reddish kagune stopped it, and sent the nasty ghoul's body flying in the air. I was protected by Haise's tentacl-kagune.

I looked at Haise. This badass was still talking on the phone, unperturbed by what just happened. But he walked towards me, open the car door for me, and signalled me to get inside to wait in the car.

I got into my seat. Haise closed the car door for me and then stood next to my door, with his back leaning against the car window. He's still talking with Juuzou, but I never felt this safe in my life. He's so cool that my chest wouldn't stop beating uncontrollably. (You need to calm your tits) (Sorry)

Also, this seat has the best window view ever. A sexy butt in striped pants is pressed against it. Uh... I really want to press my face against the window to make our "cheeks" meet!

Haise finished his conversation and got into the driver seat.

"Sorry about that... Are you alright?" He asked me caringly.

"That was so cool!" My eyes must have glittered with excitement.

Haise laughed, "Normally people would be afraid!"

Oh he meant the ghouls and the attacks. Yes that too, but I was also impressed by the striped pants and the window view and... you know, when he protected me, it made me feel close to him.

"Can I come along again next time?"

"Mm..." he hesitated. "When I invited you, I didn't think there would be any attacks... It's probably not a good idea after seeing what happened tonight."

"P-please?"

Haise couldn't say no. "As long as you stay within my watch," he finally agreed.

Yay (' ▽`).。o♡

"You look happy," I teased him while he's driving. "Was that a phone call from your lover?"

Haise smiled really wide, "Juuzou? My lover? Hanbee would kill me."

Juuzou? Hanbee? Who are these people? Why do they sound so fun? I feel like I want to be their friend.

Realizing that I didn't understand what he's saying, Haise explained, "Juuzou is an old friend, he asked me to help him with something for the next few days. I agreed since the school won't start until Monday."

"You won't be around this weekend?" I sounded disappointed, didn't know why. We didn't arrange to meet up anyway.

"Why, are you going to miss me?" He teased.

Not wanting to expose my feeling, I stuck out my tongue as though saying 'it's not like I like you or anything'. Although my mind was like '10/10 would bang'.

I fell asleep still wearing Haise's shirt that night.
These past few days were the happiest time I had felt in a while.