Part 34: Lunchtime

Today was the day! It was announced last week that the special edition Yakisoba Bread would be sold in the canteen today. Legend said it tasted better than any bread you'd ever had. But the actual thing that made it so desirable was that it came out only a few times a year, and nobody knew exactly when. The school canteen just wanted to mess with people's head and held the occasion whenever they felt like it.

Because I wasn't a student, I could cheat and queued at the canteen before the lunch break bell rang. But in all honesty -please don't hate me- I didn't like Yakisoba Bread. I just wanted to get one and maybe sell it for a good price. Like a shady bread dealer.

Five minutes before the bell rang, I was already there. There were a few students there too - they must have skipped class or pretended to go to the restroom just in time for this. Dirty little...

I wasn't surprised when I saw some familiar faces who emitted pure evil: Sougo and Light Yagami.

"I thought you don't like Yakisoba Bread?" I confronted Sougo. He hated savoury bakery.

"I can throw those words right back at you." He had his hands in his pocket and acted like a delinquent trying to pick fight.

"Well, I throw those words right back at you too," I also slipped my hands in my lab coat pocket.

"What if I throw those words-"

"Please stop the trash talk, you're embarrassing yourself," Light pushed both of us away from each other.

"You're lucky your boyfriend protected you," I mumbled mockingly.

"Never hit a woman, never hit a woman..." Sougo closed his eyes and repeated these words under his breath.

"Oh, are you guys here for the Strawberry Cake Special too?" Gin-sensei appeared.

"No." We didn't even want to know how he got the wrong information. Just let him queue and find out himself.

"By the way, Gin-san," I whispered to him, "You still owe me something." I was referring to the time he accidentally told me Haise had a tragic past.

He sweated, "Aha ha, I don't think I do."

"Don't worry," I chuckled. "I already know his past. He told me. I'm telling you this so you don't feel guilty."

"You do? How much do you know?"

"Hmm? How much do you know?" I didn't want to lose to some kind of perverted teacher regarding information about my own boyfriend.

"I know a lot, but do you?" He showed off.

"I'd know more than you, I'm the girlfriend after all."

"And I'm his best bro! Bro bonds are the strongest!"

"Are you saying that he trusts you more than me?"

"I'm saying that he loves me more."

"Do you think this is a competition?!"

"We'll go ask Haise immediately then!"

"You're on!"

"But, after my strawberry cake special, you know... Since we're already here and all."

I agreed. I wanted to see the Yakisoba Bread up close before cashing it out. I still didn't tell Gin about his misunderstanding. It'd break his heart all the same.

The bell rang. Without any real hassle, we all got the special bread. By we I meant Sougo, Light, me and some other kids who were there earlier. Gin was crying. I felt kinda sorry for him.