Part 54: Shin why...

Haise was strong. Even with his current state, with food deprivation, he managed to corner Kirei.

"You can't kill me," she threatened with a hateful smirk. "I have a hostage only I know where."

"You are bluffing," Haise threaded. Although we knew that we couldn't kill her anyway, we needed information on her boss' scheme.

She shrieked fake laughs, "I bet Kagami-kun wouldn't think so, after all I've done to him!"

She has Kagami-kun held hostage??

Haise couldn't hide all the shock he felt upon learning this information. He let a small opening for a split second, but even that was enough for Kirei to take advantage. She charged through Haise to aim at... me?

"Replenishment food!" She showed her sharp teeth, craving for my flesh, which would give her more strength after feeding. She might have chosen me because I was the only human closest to her range, or she probably still held a grudge against me. But one thing for sure, she never succeeded.

Shin caught her neck in an instant. His face was menacingly dark, and his voice was the most threatening I ever heard, "Did you really think you can get near to her? I'm not here just for show."

It was honestly the first time I –and maybe Haise too- thought that Shin actually looked very cool. And a little bit terryfying. Even Akashi Sei paused to watch him.

But I was horrified when this shinigami didn't let go of Kirei, he kept strangling her throat and... incinerating her to ashes.

As Kirei's clothes fell down to the floor, covered with the dusty remnants of their owner, everyone in the room fell silent.

This is... the strength of a shinigami?

"Aren't you overdoing it?" Haise was the first to break the deafening silence.

"You didn't have to burn her off~" Gin hummed to the melody of 'Somebody That I Used To Know'.

"I'm glad I've bandaged all the wounds," Akashi commented. "Otherwise the ashes would contaminate them."

Meanwhile Ken was giggling, "I like these guys." He pointed towards Gin, Shin, and Sei.

Shin was still in his previous position, not moving. One millisecond later, he grabbed his head and cursed in panic, "Shit, what have I done?! I'm not supposed to meddle this much!"

"What the hell Shin??!" I shouted at him, the usual Shin I knew.

"Ugh, I didn't know that that would kill her! Usually humans would only get a little burnt and I only wanted to stop her! What just happened??" Shin crouched down next to the ashes, still panicking.

"She's not human, you egg!" I knocked his head lightly with my fist. "And Haise, I know what you're thinking, don't you dare say it—"

"Shinnamon roll---" He said it.

Gin-san was the only one cackling at his bro's pun. He even attempted to offer Haise a bro-fist.

"What about the hostage?" It took Akashi Sei to bring us all back to sanity. He must have thought we're a bunch of clowns.

"Oh dear, Kagami-kun!" I covered my mouth with my hand. "What should we do if she's telling the truth?"

Akashi took out his cellphone and made a call. "Tetsuya? Yes, it's me. Is Kagami Taiga with you right now? ... No, there will be no need. Thanks. Yes, I'll talk to you again later."

"You know Kuroko-kun?" Haise asked, being sure that the phone call just now was connected to Kuroko Tetsuya.

"He's my cousin," the redhead smiled. "And Kagami Taiga is currently eating his tenth burger at a fast food outlet nearby."