Part 8: Never be lonely

"Where is the student who needs help?" Haise asked as we walked out of the dining room.

"Um, there's none. I lied," I grinned.

Haise looked a bit surprised. But he's quick to put two and two together. "Thank you for saving me... How did you know I can't eat...food?"

"I read that manga-Edo Ghoul. It gives pretty much all the information I need."

He laughed, "All of them? So you know all about me?"

(Yes we know you had a "Energy" underwear
( '() '))

I smiled shyly. "Oh, do you want to feed the koi fish? I happen to have fish pellets!"

"Sure, but... What about your lunch? Have you eaten anything?"

"But... The fish looked like they're hungrier than me."

Haise chuckled, "You're more important! Let's get you something to eat."

That made me so happy. He said I was important, yay! Well, even though it's in comparison to some fish.

"No, don't worry. We'll go to the temples soon. I heard they have nice street food there, so I'll save it for later!"

"Okay, but you have to let me treat you to the food. As a thank you."

"You don't have to, it wasn't a big deal," I was shy to take his offer.

"It was for me," he smiled meaningfully.

Sasaki Haise was such a sweetheart.

We got to the fish pond in that small garden. Haise pointed to the room next to mine, "Ah that is my room!"

You're kidding me! Right next to my room? We share a veranda? Like, we can sit on those little wooden chairs facing the garden and have tea-or rather, coffee, together? I can stick a glass on the wall in my room and press my ear to it and listen to what you're doing? For the next three days, I can literally stalk you?

"My room is just next to yours!" I shrieked.

"Oh really? Be careful, I can stalk you," he said.

"W-what?" Did he just say that he could stalk me? Did he read my mind??

"Sorry, my sense of humour is awful," Haise scratched his head lightly.

"Uh it's okay, I like dirty jokes too," I said; and then immediately regretted it. "Nooo it sounded less weird in my head!"

Oh my word, if I don't stop all this stupidity and clumsiness, I might end up being that friend who you like to hang out with because they're funny, but you'd never go out with them because they're like your 'bro'.

Haise giggled, "I'll never get bored of talking to you, [he said my name], I'm so glad you come to this trip too. Otherwise I would've felt lonely." He said this breezily while feeding the fish.

I was made speechless by these sweet words. Noticing my silence, he turned his head to look at me. Then he gave me a very sincere smile, one that made the butterflies in my stomach flutter uncontrollably.

---

Haise offered to carry my box of first aid kits and other medicines. Naturally, we sat next to each other again on the bus to the temples.

"Haise... Didn't you say that you wanted to ask me about some health articles?" I suddenly remembered.

"Yes," he rubbed his cheek with his left hand, "Sorry about that, I wanted to find you afterwards, but I got caught up with school work and other stuff..."

"Oh don't worry, I just wondered if you'd found what you needed?"

"Not yet actually... But I replaced that one with another article that was easier to understand..."

I grinned, "It's good then."

We spent the remaining bus ride talking about my education and other circumstances. Since there were other people around us, we didn't talk much about Haise's background, so as to avoid slipping out his secret.

When we arrived at the destination, the trip leader told us that at least one of the health staff should stay at the assigned post. This way, if there's anyone who needed medical attention, they knew where to find us.

Luckily, our spot was surrounded by a lot of little shops and kiosks, including food stalls.

Haise called my name, "If you want to, I can wait here and you can go look around. But...! Only after you have something to eat!"

Aaaa it's been such a long time since anyone ever told me to do something for my own good. I don't mind him ordering me around like this. Teehee. He's like... an overprotective onii-chan!

"O-okay..." Somehow I blushed. "Then... You can also go look around while I stay here and eat?"

Haise looked disappointed, "You want me to leave?"

W-what? I was just returning his kind offer, didn't I use the same words he said to me? How did he switch from being a sassy onii-san to a cute little puppy who's upset because its owner was leaving to go to work? Aaargh Haise you're driving me crazy! There's so much about your personality that makes me even more curious after I learn something about you.

"No, of course not! You promised to buy me food." I wanted to erase his troubled look as quick as possible.