Part 23: Not Haise

I was waken up by the doorbell.

Brain not fully awake and eyes not fully opened, I got up to answer it.

What is it... Today is holiday. Is it the postman? Delivery? Sougo? I can't open my eyes properly, so sleepy...

Hoping my ears would help me identify what's going on, I opened the door. But the person standing in front of me didn't say anything. I looked up to see his face, with a blurry vision.

I saw some reddish silhouette. Red head?

I heard my first name being called. The voice was kind of nostalgic...

Red hair and that voice! My brain switched itself on immediately.

I rubbed my eyes and the first thing I saw was the elegant face of Akashi Sei. He was smiling, but his eyes didn't show joy.

"A-Akashi-kun?"

"You used to call me Sei-chan." He wasn't questioning, but implying that I should call him by that nickname.

Yes I did. But then you changed and somehow it was never the same again...

"Uh... Do you need anything?" I was completely lost; I had no idea why he would show up at my house after losing contact for two years...

Sei-chan was from a very wealthy and reknown family; as such, he had a very big burden to excel in everything. I could understand his troubles, so we were quite close during our first years in university.

Although he's rich he's hot he's dreamy, Akashi Sei kept a low profile and was kind towards people. Unsurprisingly, I fell in love with him. At some point, I thought he liked me too, but he never did anything about it. Perhaps he's just not that much into me...

I was alright with how things were; as long as we're close to each other, I didn't mind not being in a relationship. However, one day he just...flipped? He turned colder, the look in his eyes wasn't the same anymore... His actions were more radical, almost psychotic, but he had power and people feared him.

Not long after, he disappeared.

It's been almost two years since then; and I spent the first half of it being heartbroken and miserable.

But right now...

Right now I am literally sitting in a helicopter.

This was one of those 'one-thing-led-to-another' moment:

A friend who had been gone for years came back and asked to catch up? Yes okay.

Want to go some place where we have privacy? Well my house was a mess so yeah let's go somewhere else.

The place was quite far, let's go by the young master's helicopter? Holy bangs, I never even saw a real helicopter up close.

"W-where are we?" I asked the golden-eyed man as soon as we stepped on the ground.

To be honest, I was scared. What would he do to me? Could I really trust this guy? I knew him for years but I felt unsafe. Maybe because he broke my heart, in addition to how he's like a completely different person from the Sei-chan I used to know.

"This is a little village owned by my family," he explained. "It's built according to the old western countryside style. At the moment, this resort is only open to family members and some acquantainces."

S-so elite! I'm wearing my best clothes -since I wanted to look good to someone who "dumped" me, but I think I'll still look like a pauper in this posh resort. Look, some of the butlers are already fancier than me.

But it took a couple of hours flying here. If I say i want to go home now, I think he'll kill me.

We were in a limo, on the way to the Akashi family's holiday house. I was so uncomfortable, considering... everything. None of the things happening at the moment was under my control. Plus, this guy was so quiet and I couldn't read his expression.

"Are you afraid of me?" Akashi Sei broke the silence.

"Mm..." If you asked that question to all the people who knew him, they would say they trembled in fear.

"What have I done to you to make you afraid?" He asked again, and I swore he sounded a little sad behind the strong front.

I thought of his question and couldn't find a good reason to answer. It's true that my feelings didn't get through, but that's not a reason to be afraid of someone. Fair enough that sometimes he threatened to finish off those who defied him (⊙﹏⊙"), but he's always been polite and kind to me.

I guess you just naturally fear the combination of dilated eyes and a stable smile - that was the answer I came up with but there's no chance I could tell him that.

To add to this awkward situation, he moved closer to me and reached for my ear. I prayed that he wouldn't rip my ear off - something like 'I ask you a question and you dare to not answer, did you listen to me? Are these ears just for decoration? They're useless, I'll take care of them for you! *ripping noises*'

Much to my surprise, he stroke my hair gently and placed my side bangs behind my ear.

"There's nothing to be afraid of," the red haired man told me. "You're the only person I want to be at ease around me."

I cursed myself for letting my heart skipped a beat.

Get it together, woman! They say not even a donkey would fall into the same hole twice. If you fall in love with him again, you're literally dumber than an ass. Besides, are you going to throw away all the good progress with -in case you've forgotten about him-- the one and only Sasaki Haise? Sure, this Akashi heir has the look and the prestige and everything else money can buy, but does he have tentacles? Well Haise even has four! Imagine the possibilities *cough*!

Thinking about Haise calmed me down a great deal. It might sound cliché, but that special place in my heart wasn't empty anymore. It gave me confidence that I'd be able to see Sei-chan or Akashi-kun nothing more than a friend, and not to let myself sink in that dark place again.

It's funny that a year or two ago, I'd give anything to be alone with the Akashi Sei in a beautiful and luxurious resort like this. Yet now that I was here, I missed when I roamed around dangerous places with my one-eyed ghoul.

---

[A/N: I love Akashi so much, I hate myself for writing bad things about him *crying in the corner*
Sorry for the sort of serious chapter. There's more humour planned for the next one. I know you miss Haise, we all do! I especially miss his fluffy hair and his smile *continue crying in the corner*]